Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Best outlets

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Posts
    603

    Best outlets

    I've been looking at outlets for the shop, 3-phase 30 amp, and have noticed a big difference in price. I bought one from my electrician and it was almost $80, online I saw prices in the $15 range. It makes me wonder if there's a difference in quality between the two.

    Can anyone recommend a particular brand? Or one to stay away from?

    Thanks! Jeff

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    1,214
    Most manufacturers of electric outlets offer several quality grades and each has a higher price as the grade is increased. I prefer Hubbell brand, but in the better grades the larger name manufacturers all make good quality products. Stick with their "industrial" or "commercial" grades and you should be happy with them. Avoid the low price stuff.

    Charley

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    557
    I buy whatever is cheapest and have yet to see any issue. I have a $15 L6-30R that gets connected/disconnected several times per week, seems no different from the $40 version near it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    1,174
    These seem really excellent at $28 and you can usually get 15-20% off. No freight at $50:
    https://www.zoro.com/hubbell-wiring-...20/i/G0297001/

    I use these for extra locations that MAY be used. Clearly not as well made but seem OK:
    https://www.zoro.com/bryant-locking-...fr/i/G4439429/

    If you sign up for emails, they will give you 15% off first order and then they will send some specials, typically 20% off but sometimes limited to certain catagories.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,304
    I buy top quality made in USA used from the on-line auction site. Cost about 1/4 of new.
    Bill D

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I buy top quality made in USA used from the on-line auction site. Cost about 1/4 of new.
    Bill D
    .

    Same here. I also buy in bulk and look for sellers accepting offers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks for the help! Boy, that auction site really has the lowest prices. I have a bunch of outlets to buy so it'll be worth it to find a better deal.

  8. #8
    Generally Hubbell is what I have seen available. I bought a brand new L15-30R receptacle from a local electrical supply house for about $30. Used they are about $10-15.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    1,174
    New Hubbel for $22 or new Leviton for $12 vs unknown used garbage on ebay for "$10-15" plus freight including no real warranty. Are you kidding? Even for half that I can't imagine falling for it unless your time has zero value. Actually, even IF your time has zero value. Those looking that hard at a "deal" will just have to pay for it. Being cheap always seems to cost more it seems.

    So if I'm moving a manufacturing company, I guess we will take the used stuff and sell it on ebay and buy new for the new building.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 05-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Posts
    603
    Greg,

    I'm not looking for anything used. My price comparison was against my electrician who charged me $78 for a single L15-30 outlet. At the time the outlet was the only thing needed to get the big jointer running (I had 4 wide panels to joint) so I didn't shop around I just bought the outlet he had in his warehouse.

    It was only after looking at the invoice that I started crunching numbers to figure how much the rest of the circuits would cost.

    Is the new Hubbel for $22 available to you locally or online?

    Thanks!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    New Hubbel for $22 or new Leviton for $12 vs unknown used garbage on ebay for "$10-15" plus freight including no real warranty. Are you kidding? Even for half that I can't imagine falling for it unless your time has zero value. Actually, even IF your time has zero value. Those looking that hard at a "deal" will just have to pay for it. Being cheap always seems to cost more it seems.

    So if I'm moving a manufacturing company, I guess we will take the used stuff and sell it on ebay and buy new for the new building.
    I buy used Hubble all the time off there or from my surplus electrical supplier. Large used 3 phase breakers are stupid expensive. Same with large transformers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Greg,

    I'm not looking for anything used. My price comparison was against my electrician who charged me $78 for a single L15-30 outlet. At the time the outlet was the only thing needed to get the big jointer running (I had 4 wide panels to joint) so I didn't shop around I just bought the outlet he had in his warehouse.

    It was only after looking at the invoice that I started crunching numbers to figure how much the rest of the circuits would cost.

    Is the new Hubbel for $22 available to you locally or online?

    Thanks!
    Zoro link is $27.99. New account will get 15% on first order when signing up for email specials. I can look up a code that gives you 20% off at $50 and have another that is 25% off at $400. That is Hubbel L6-30 but looks like you may be looking for L15-30. If so the Bryants at Zoro are $20 at 20% off. You're doing 240v 3PH + Ground?

    I just received some Hubbel and Bryant L15-20r and they both look excellent. Hubbel does have the color code that might be important in a business with a lot of users plugging in various equipment.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 05-19-2018 at 10:05 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,789
    Greg, anytime you want to see unknown used garbage like you have only dreamed about in a shop, stop by the new shed. Almost all my single and 3ph plugs and recepticals came as used unknown garbage, most from closed data centers. Thos plugs and recepticals get used 3-4 times in their whole life. But your probably smarter than me.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    1,174
    Mike,
    But you are one of the few that are capable of checking them out and being sure they work fine. Also, probably able to swap them out quickly if they are a problem. Most people aren't installing 100 extra "just in case" so intend to use most of them most of the time.

    I have one customer that loves to buy stuff on ebay, then his maintenance manager hides it and buys new stuff from good sources for what ends up being a better deal.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...Fc14YgodfbQJ8A

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,789
    Yea many of mine might only see a plug or five as well. If any family resells mine on ebay after I am dead its a safe buy lol.

    Cool thing about buying in bulk, even if one looks bad you have spares.

    Most of my 30amp 3ph ones are GE I believe. Ill check tomorrow.

    I know my l6-30r are hubbel.

    I actually like legrand P&S l6-30 plugs.

    I also bought my 3ph lug only panels on ebay. Also my new meter base and disconnects at the house on ebay. They were brand new.

    Ebay is many times how I get to do the build stuff I do and afford it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •