Thread: disposing of bandsaw blades?

disposing of bandsaw blades?

How do you dispose of bandsaw blades?
    (do you have recycling options? cut them or tie them to prevent from uncoiling? any protection on the cutting edges?)

(I have a pair of thin blades that got kinked that I would like to declutter)

thanks,
    Matt

I just hammer flat the folds and turn it into a small bar. Fits in the scrap metal bin easier that way.

If I have a load going soon to the scrapyard for metal recycling I put them in with that. Otherwise I just coil them up, put some tape on them, and drop them in the middle of the trash bag where they will get other stuff around them so they don't cut the bag or injure anyone handling the bag. I avoid putting good metal in the trash when I can, but here I am mostly trying to keep folks from getting cut. For most blades there is a maybe a soup can or two of metal in them, so it isn't a huge environmental issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Hefley View Post
    I just hammer flat the folds and turn it into a small bar. Fits in the scrap metal bin easier that way.
    This is what I do...and then they go in the normal trash.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just step on them to fold them and drop in the recycle bin.

We have curbside recycling here, but it's pretty hit or miss. What you put at the curb might go in the regular trash truck, it might go in the recycling truck, or it might just stay at the curb.