Thread: Source for honduran mahogany in twin cities

Source for honduran mahogany in twin cities

Does anyone know a source for honduran mahogany in twin cities? I need a back for a small bookcase I'am making and I can't find it anywhere.

Youngblood in Mpls should have African mahogany, I don't think they have Honduras but you could call and check. Honduras seems like it is hard to find around here; I can't remember the last time I saw it. It is possible Forest Products Supply in Maplewood might have it. They aren't cheap, but they at least list it on their website.

Not sure how set you are on Honduras mahogany, but changing to African mahogany might be easier. If you want a similar color but something much cheaper and easier to get hold of, 4/4 cherry at Youngblood is quite reasonable if you are a member of the MN woodworker's guild (wholesale pricing).
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 05-18-2018 at 12:18 AM.

If the book case will be against a wall with only the inside showing ,you can use inexpensive plywood and cover the side that shows with a bright solid color fabric. You see it in fine English libraries and it really lights the place up. Easy to find pics.

Actually, the last piece of good mahogany plywood I got was cheap 1/4 underlayment from Menards last summer. It had a real nice mahogany veneer on it, not sure of the specific species but it was clear of knots and voids and quite nice. I used it for the inside of my truck topper. Sometimes the B side of imported plywood has nice veneer on it, occasionally better than the face side.

Oh trust me I've tried to get it at Forest Products actually I would prefer to get it there as I get an employee discount but he (the boss) was just not too keen on bringing in it for just one board and actually that's where I originally got the lumber years ago but it's so hard to Source now he just hasn't been buying it, no way I'm using plywood just too wasteful it's only about 12 by 48 and I would prefer to do a shiplap back and I just plain hate African it just looks too different not to mention I just hate working with it) I were to use another species it would probably be Spanish Cedar but I would still bother me knowing that it wasn't Honduran mahogany I didn't know if anybody knew if there was another source for it

It sounds like you are in the know locally as much as anyone if you work at FPS. I always liked going there to buy small pieces from the scrap bins for turning, but now I live on the wrong side of town, so I don't get there that often.

The only other thing I could think of besides buying sight unseen from the internet is maybe posting something on the MN WW Guild website classifieds saying you are looking for a couple boards of Honduras. One of us pack rats is bound to have some squirreled away and looking for a home

You might want to call Woodcraft in Bloomington. I believe they still carry it. If they don't carry it anymore send me a PM, I may be able to get you some privately if you are willing to drive to Woodbury.