Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Played with a little Corian...

Ahh. My mistake. I missed the cutter. Makes total sense. I can easily see that in a hard material with a small detail cutter. <SMACK>

I'm trying really hard to delay the inevitable broken cutter for as long as possible...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm trying really hard to delay the inevitable broken cutter for as long as possible...
    Ive bee in the same boat since we setup. I have yet to break a bit in production but we dont use a ton of very small bits. The one bit that I did break was a total bonehead maneuver on my part. I cant remember if I kicked off the soft limits for some reason or if I just had manually moved the spindle way down. Had a nearly new 3/8" solid carbide compression in and had finished up something, spindle was down in X0Y0 and I spaced it and hit the up arrow on the keyboard to run it back towards the rear of the machine and pow. The gantry never even flinched but the bit hit the edge of the table and snapped the sucker off right at the top of the flutes.

Im generally very very cautious if I toggle the soft limits off for some reason but that was within the first week or so lol. When we do run small tapered ball nose bits or small endmills I can easily see buying a half dozen at a whack but so far so good.

We've not broken many bits, but I did smash the cutter into a clamp the other day. The clamps were clear of the cut path, but I forgot about the move from tool change position to 0,0 before the start of the cutting. No real damage, but the noise was scary.

I broke my first bit right out of the gate, Jim - very first cut. With a 1/8" spiral bit I was going to cut some pockets to sink screws below the surface on the spoilboard. I though everything was set correctly but, alas, I set Z zero incorrectly and it didn't match how I set up Fusion 360. The gantry moved from X0 Y0 to the first pocket, bored to the bottom of the spoilboard in an instant, and then tried to cut a 5/8" diameter pocket in 1/2" MDF. Lasted about 1/2" second - LOL!

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Lasted about 1/2" second - LOL!
    That long? Wow... Heh...heh...

So far...I'm lucky. (all crossables crossed) But I'm sure the time will come for me, too. It's a natural law or something!
    --

A friend of mine has a CNC machine and he cut some white Corian for a kitchen counter top. He cut a perfect sink fit. It looks good.

That long? Wow... Heh...heh...

So far...I'm lucky. (all crossables crossed) But I'm sure the time will come for me, too. It's a natural law or something!
    I decided to keep all broken bits by my keyboard as a reminder for what can happen. The good news is that the first bit only has one partner, so only two 1/8" bits in 18 months - not too bad.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

I finally got to a little sign for Professor Dr. SWMBO...actually, it's for her honeybees. They sent me an order via airmail and are all a-buzz about having their very own sign. The queens even started calling me honey.

IMG_1013.jpg IMG_1014.jpg
    --

Jim

That's great! You are a quick study. Corian opens to door to a ton of ideas.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yea, so far, I really like the stuff for this kind of sign work and intent to continue with it as I productize my ideas. Heavy as all get-out, however! I'm not looking forward to that aspect of picking up new material in the recent future to start making stuff.
    --