Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Played with a little Corian...

Played with a little Corian...

...and I liked it. Seriously machines nicely and quickly. The project isn't very exciting, but I'm still in walk before I run mode. I like this stuff and intend to make a habit of using it.

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What speeds and cutter did you use? I have a piece of scrap sitting in my shop I have thought of trying to cut, but I have never tried.

Brad, the straight cuts were with a 1/8" up-cut spiral end-mill. 12000 rpm and a little slower than I would have expected at 50 ipm. But the chips coming off were appropriately formed and the cuts extremely clean. Absolutely try this stuff... This piece was from Keith and it convinced me that I'm going to like working with it. It's the perfect material for some of the equestrian focused sign stuff I plan to produce, too. Durable, impervious to moisture, etc. It's rock solid on the machine, too...I just used a few tabs in the profile kept things down nicely. I kept my clamps well away from the work area, too, without any movement.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-18-2018 at 9:49 AM.
    --

Thanks Jim. I will give it a try. I can get all sorts of off cuts from a contractor I work with.

That's one of the best ways to get the stuff!
    --

WARNING!

The use of solid surface material on CNC Routers can be dangerously addictive

It makes a mighty fine mess to clean up, too... Part of my shop floor is currently "pink". LOL
    --

Nice work Jim. Have a pile sitting here in the shop to play around with when we get time. Wondered about the feed speeds. Looks nice. I always figured it was about as bad as MDF lol

There's no grain so it cuts cleanly. And you want to move along so that any heat flies off with the chips...just as with any other material, but especially "plastics".
    --

I have laser engraved Corian in the past and was impressed. The price is right I have a countertop place not far from me and the drops are free, so far anyway. I wonder what happens to it when exposed to the weather outside? I am thinking memorial grave markers or signs? I would think it would be very nice with a V Carve bit and done on the router.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-21-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I have laser engraved Corian in the past and was impressed. The price is right I have a countertop place not far from me and the drops are free, so far anyway. I wonder what happens to it when exposed to the weather outside? I am thinking memorial grave markers or signs? I would think it would be very nice with a V Carve bit and done on the router.
    Corian works great for outdoor signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Corian works great for outdoor signs.
    That's my understanding and why my first use above is for a couple of outdoor signs.
    --

According to Dupont you can expect a life expectancy of 50 years in an exterior service application using Corian.

I have some exterior signs (light and dark colors) that are over ten years old now and they still look brand new. If they get dirty from pollution or from other sources just wash them with soap and water.

Having never put the scraps we have on the machine I was somewhat surprised at the feed speeds at 50ipm? Is that pretty much the norm? I hope to toss a few of these on the cnc in the coming days and play around. We've worked with solid surface a lot in the field (hand routers and sanders on pre-fab'd tops) and while it always seemed super hard I didnt guess it would run that slow.

Mark, the 50 ipm is the default speed for a 1/8" cutter in the Vectric software and has nothing to do with the material specifically...I'm very sure I can cut faster. Well, let me re-phrase that...I CAN cut much much faster with my machine--as much as 500 ipm, but I have to learn how much bite I can take with a small cutter and this material and arrive at the "best" speed and chip load for the task. I was cutting some 1/4" Corian today and making some samples for something I'm considering offering to the equestrian crown and I pushed the speed up a little with each piece.
    --