Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Make This Cut With a Table Saw?

How Would You Make This Cut With a Table Saw?

On a 2x4 piece of lumber.

I have a 10" table saw with an incra miter gauge that goes up pretty steep but not as acute as this cut requires...
    I'm tying my brain in knots trying to figure this out.

2x4.jpg

https://imgur.com/MWaOcPo

Clamp a square block of wood to the fence on the miter gauge and clamp the stock to the block. Or don't use the miter gauge and instead make yourself a quick tapering sled that'll ride against the rip fence.

I would use a panel fence jig similar to the below link. Use a sacrificial stop for both support and to reduce tear out.

http://www.startwoodworking.com/plan...g-jig-tablesaw

It goes upright, on end. Google tapering sled as Dave advised, or 'making raised panels on a table saw'. It will give you the general idea. Make sure the piece is CLAMPED solidly to the sled.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

If you have a tenoning jig with enough clearance, you can use that to hold the board upright and then cut it with the saw blade angled.

Free hand on the bandsaw and a quick clean up with a plane would also work.

All good suggestions. I use my tenon jig when I need to make this type of cut if the cut will be short, and use a high sliding fence that rides along my table saw fence with the work clamped to it when the cut will be long, as in raised panels. In either case, a sacrificial backer can be used to prevent end of cut tear out.

Charley

Blog Entries
    +! on upright with a tenon jig, either commercial or shop made if you don't have a bandsaw.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-18-2018 at 5:43 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How long is the 2x4? If it is short, as pictured, I would just use my fence set at the correct distance. Position the fence, tilt the blade away, and stand up the 2x4. Push it through using another 2x4 laying down on the table along the fence. Seems pretty easy. If it is a long 2x4 I'd cut it by hand saw.

A tapered cut like this can be done in a number of ways including those mentioned. Personally...I'd make a rough cut on the bandsaw and then use a hand plane to complete the task. Safer in many respects...and if the board is long, it's not something you can do vertically on the table saw with a tenon jig anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

OP you dont have or have access to a bandsaw?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Using some trigonometry figure the length of the side opposite over the length of the 2x4 to give you the angle you need. Use double sided tape to put a piece of wood to the side opposite the angle. Tjhen rip it with the fence on the tablesaw.

Heck another approach that might be possible is using a miter gauge on an edge sander or belt sander and just "grinding" that angle off and sanding it smooth afterwards. I really dont think the table saw is the best or safest way to get this cut made...
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I too would head to the bandsaw for the cut then the edge sander to smooth it.

Thanks for the replies folks. Unfortunately I do not have access to a bandsaw or edge sander, but I will definitely look into a tapering sled/panel/tenon jig.

Cutting the board standing on end is also an interesting approach as the depth of cut need only be two inches or so at that angle. Though I would have ten chances to do so, I am quite attached to my fingers and I don't imagine my oafish, ham-fisted finesse would further me in my keeping them while attempting this.

Blog Entries
    You could consider making the cut with a handsaw. I have a Disston D12 10tpi that would make that cut in a heartbeat.
    It's ok to brag isn't it.