Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop made in Taiwan?

SawStop made in Taiwan?

While contacting SawStop to find out what motor manufacturer is used for their 3hp Professional Cabinet Saw I was told that not only is the motor made in Taiwan but the saw itself is made there as well. I thought this was a USA built product.

There are no cabinet saws currently produced in the USA.
    Chuck Taylor

Same company makes pm, grizz, jet, dewalt, delta, ridgid, general int, on and on. Geetech.

Geetech HQ : Chiu Ting Machinery Co., Ltd.
    No 135, Zhongnan Road, Taiping, Dist. Taichung, Taiwan
    TEL + 886-4-2270-0258
    FAX + 886-4-2275-9365
    E-Mail :katharine@geetech.com.tw
    http://www.geetech.com.tw/

Makita 2704 contractor saw is made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    BTW my Makita 2704 contractor saw is made in the U.S.A. ...or at least, assembled in the U.S.A. ...

Regards,
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 05-17-2018 at 7:02 PM. Reason: better phrasing

Makes me appreciate my North American made Oneway lathe even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Except for Northfield

Non-Americans have to support themselves and their families too.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    While contacting SawStop to find out what motor manufacturer is used for their 3hp Professional Cabinet Saw I was told that not only is the motor made in Taiwan but the saw itself is made there as well. I thought this was a USA built product.
    Dr Gass would not have been able to find an American company to produce his saws at such quality and price. To make a profit, he had to go outside America, or the saw would have been priced out of the budget of most hobbyist users. It would be interesting to see how many sawmakers can match SawStop's quality and price when the patents expire and anyone can be free to use the SS technology. Bosch jobsite saws with the finger-saving feature (still available in Canada) are nowhere cheaper than SS's jobsite saws.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 05-17-2018 at 9:26 PM.

It is every bit as good (or better) than the (old) Made in USA unisaw or old General (Made in Canada) saw.

Aside from the safety technology, SS quality is higher than most other Asian tools that I've used and you pay for it. The consumer gets what he's willing to pay for.

Where they really separate themselves, though, is in a couple of areas beyond manufacturing. Anyone who has assembled one of their products knows about their packaging and ease of assembly. Then comes customer service, among the best I've ever dealt with.

I can't speak to the comparison to "old iron" as I don't have any, but I guess it's physically impossible to replicate at any price.

The Taiwanese ICS I have is a solid machine. But you pay for it. Sawstop ics is over 1,500 dollars more than the new delta unisaw. It's not the location, it's the quality we are willing to pay for.

Now that was an off topic comment!! Knock off the personal attacks. They don't belong on this site.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Cute cover.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville