Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Garage Sale + $9 =2 saws...

Cool 1 Garage Sale + $9 =2 saws...

Got out and about, went to see a few garage sales in the area....had to take along the Boss, of course...

Most were more for her...I did find a couple DVDs for me....Finally found one garage sale with ....TOOLS!

Spent the first $5 on a full sized WS Rip saw...
    IMG_4247 (640x480).jpgIMG_4248 (640x480).jpg
    5-1/2 ppi. First few inches of them big teeth are worn down a bit....will sharpen this one back up, after a rehab (Disston?)
    As for the rest of the $9? Well..
    IMG_4245 (640x480).jpg
    Handle has seen better days..
    IMG_4249 (640x463).jpg
    Nib had broken off at sometime..
    IMG_4246 (640x480).jpg
    10 ppi. Plate has an etch I can even read..
    IMG_4242 (640x480).jpg
    Large Eagle in a sunken medallion..
    IMG_4243 (640x480).jpg
    "Henry Disston" ( no sons) of PHILA.

may try to clean this $4 saw up.....we'll see...might be a tad on the older side?
    Have other sales to go to...tomorrow or Saturday....

The Henry Disston (no sons) is a collector's saw-I would not do anything to it, except look for a buyer! .
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I tend to agree except I would make a new curly maple handle with new saw nuts.
    I would keep the old handle and saw nuts to pass along if I sold the saw.

Lowell,

Would that be before or after you determined if it was a panel saw or not? Just checking....

There should be a model number stamped on the blade either above or below the Disston Stamp. That is not an etch, but a stamp that was applied before the blade was hardened. They stamped the model number afterward, and it is always very faint. Look close, it may be there.

There is a "7" under the stamp. Late 1840s-early 1850s.

Steve,

Not nearly that early, mid 50s at earliest. A couple of pictures from one that is in that date range are attached. Disston only used an "H" on his earliest saws that had medallions. You will also notice the serifs on the letters in the medallion, also a first generation characteristic. Finally, a very fine row of dots around the circumference of the medallion.

No7_1.jpgNo7_3.jpgNo7_2.jpg

Medallion does NOT match the one I have...HENRY DISSTON .....PHILA
    IMG_4250 (640x509).jpg
    No sheild for the eagle to hold, either.
    IMG_4253 (640x480).jpg
    Also..notice that the top spanner nut is actually smaller..
    IMG_4251 (640x480).jpg
    Than the others.

Etch: there IS an "ED" off to the right, and slightly lower than the "7" . Saw has been sharpened enough, that the ppi stamp is gone.

Take a good look at the lamb's tongue...that your's does not have. .... yet mine does? Seems there was a small time frame where Henry was spelled out on the medallions.....

IMG_4255 (580x640).jpg
    Welcome to drive down here any time and take a look....
    IMAG0201.jpg
    I also have in the saw til a pair of No.7s..with nibs.....7ppi., but have the "keystone" style etch. pre-1928 saws.
    Disston Number 7.jpg
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-17-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Steve,

While it’s almost impossible to tell anything about your medallion due to its extreme wear and the poor photo, anyone can see that the one I posted and yours are not the same and I never claimed it was. Merely stating that your saw is not as early as you think and gave an example of one that was.

Did all my research on the Disston saw...enough that nothing else got done IN the shop, today....enough!

IF I go back to that place tomorrow, there may still be a couple saws Disston would have liked to forgot.....the ones with the strange plastic handles ( what was the plastic called?) as there were two sitting on that table...$5 each. May get a lower price tomorrow....maybe. Have a couple other places to check out...and hope it doesn't rain.

May just rehab the dang saw up, and put it to use.....if I didn't already have three 10-pointers in the til. Will still rehab the rip saw, including sharpening it up, plate is straight, handle is free of cracks. Just get the plate cleaned, and the teeth sharp.

BTW: I went to the shop, and got out the No. 7 I had in the til..
    IMG_4257 (640x480).jpgIMG_4258 (640x480).jpgIMG_4259 (640x480).jpg
    Keystone medallion with the & sons. Has a good nib. Does not look to have been sharpened too many times....7 is stamped under the handle ( 7ppi) and the etch has a No. 7 below the Keystone part.
    Will see how the Friday Rust Hunt goes.....need to get back to building that bed frame...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-17-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Probably, a rust bucket broken tooth and handle in pieces would not strike me as a collectors item.

If I were to offer my restored D12, I imagine I would have no difficulty selling it. It was a rust bucket broken handle mess.

Welcome to drive down here and take a look...IF YOU DARE. Mine IS older than you think....and a lot older than that "new" saw you showed. Maybe, once in a while, someone other than you, might just get something right. Enough. Calling this one a 1849 Disston No.7....end of story. Have other things that need done, besides arguing with some self-appointed "Guru"......

Drive on down here, and prove me wrong....or go away.

Steven,

It looks like the stamp, the style of the letters in the stamp, the number 7, the handle shape, and medallion all seem to be consistent with those features for the 1850s, and maybe the early 1850s, from the Disston Institute.

I am not questioning Pete, he has forgotten more about those early saws than I will ever know.

Stew

Sorry Steven, I'll need to politely decline your generous offer to visit the "Peak of OH". While we are on the topic of early saws, I thought that perhaps folks would like to see what a REALLY early Disston saw looks like. You won't find it on any websites or in any catalogs, as no catalogs were printed when this saw was made. This saw goes back to the beginning, perhaps to 1840. The handle is very similar to British Saws, which is where Henry Disston came from. Note the very tight arch of the blade stamp with Keystone Works underneath. The faint "10" is the model. To the left is "Cast Steel" and to the right is "Warranted".

I harvested this saw back in the early 90s not far from where it was made. Not much of an internet back then. Sadly, true experts like Steven were not around then to consult with either. Enjoy!

Disston10.jpgDisston10_1.jpgDisston10_2.jpg

!840s, Henry and his one apprentise were only selling three model numbers.....#7, #8, and a #9....when he finally quit making mason's trowels...

Sooo...1875 era domed nuts? No.12, is it?

(Yes, it WAS in a catalog....)