Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Garage Sale + $9 =2 saws...

Steven,

As you can plainly see, it is a model 10. The handle looks nothing like a #12 and everything like an early, British style drop front saw. He used domed nuts on his earliest saws, and he wasn’t alone. Other makers used them too.

OK, since there was another saw bought today....decided to try to clean it up. doubt there was a etch...so the sander and some 120 grit to remove the rust on the Rip saw's plate. I also removed the hardware, and wirewheeled them until they shone...nickle plate was flaky anyway. The tried to remove as much of that ugly red stain as I could, and sand the "stained hardwood" smooth. Once the bench is cleared (projects are still going on..)I can swing the saw vise back up, and sharpen those big teeth. Plate is stamped as a 5-1/2 ppi. Plate is straight. Had a double set of holes, though.

Since the rip saw isn't some collector's saw, I can refinish the handle as I chose....doubt if it is as old as Pete....

Jeez, in my answer to the OP, I apologize for saying there may be collector interest in the saw!

I don't claim to have great saw knowledge, but I have two similar saws: one Disston, stamped with 7, and another identical, but with no Disston stamped marks and a "Warren & Ted" medallion.

I'l let the grandkids fight over what they are, some day in the future!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

As a good citizen who feels an obligation to intervene any time I see two old ladies swinging purses at each other on a sidewalk, I thought I would offer to take it off your hands. I’ll even double your money.

Seriously though, whatever it is, and whoever is right, and whatever you do with it, it is a neat piece of history and it will be better off than it would be rotting away wherever you found it.

Thanks for sharing it.

Have a "new" tripod for the camera...may give it a test run later.....right hand shakes almost too much to take a drink from a glass, or a can of coke....doesn't help with taking pictures. Old tripod was broken/worn out.....Yard sales today..IN THE RAIN...grrrrrr, maybe better weather tomorrow? Estate sale today......fellow did not take any care with what tools he had.....even had 5 Log Scale Lufkin rulers....3 were broken..

Maybe after Lunch, I can get back to work on that bedframe project? haven't heard from the Boss what the rest of the day is to be like....

Test drive, with the new to me tripod...short test...battery on camera was needing a recharge..
    IMG_4261 (640x480).jpg
    Medallion view ( handle may have cracked from the wood shrinking over time? )
    IMG_4262 (640x480).jpg
    Spanner nuts, 3 normal size, and a smaller top one?
    IMG_4263.jpg
    Best view I can get. May a one time had a ----------WARRANTED? About all I can find is the "ED"
    Need to find a brush, so I can apply a shellac finish to that Rip saw's handle.....maybe after Lunch, eh?

Went with just a coat of Golden Oak stain on that rip saw's handle..
    IMG_4269 (640x480).jpg
    Plate has a "Grained" look to it..rather than a polished look. Bolts were nickle plated brass...most of the plating was flaking off, anyway.
    IMG_4275 (640x480).jpg
    Eagle, Warranted Superior. Hanlde is not a covertop one.
    IMG_4273 (640x480).jpg
    May get out the Millers Falls No. 214, type 1. Need to file the teeth, too. 5-1/2 is the stamp below the handle. Saw vise is a Wentworth No. 1

26" long plate is straight...doubt IF they used this saw all that much, anyway...

Besides the Wentworth No. 1...these were used..
    IMG_4277 (640x480).jpg
    Even put a new file in the holder! Set the teeth, then file at 90 degrees across. Did not "lean" the file forward, either...had a lot to file, cutting "face" of the teeth was leaning backwards.
    IMG_4279 (640x480).jpg
    And they were pretty dull. Piece of walnut in the vise for a test drive...
    IMG_4278 (640x480).jpg
    More operator error than the saw itself..but..
    IMG_4280 (640x480).jpg
    Kind of rough, but it is a 5-1/2 ppi Rip saw. Does cut fairly fast, too.

Plate does have a slight bow to it...working now on flexing the curve out...
    Not too bad, for a $5 saw?

And...I don't have to worry about how old it is.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Lowell,

Would that be before or after you determined if it was a panel saw or not? Just checking....

There should be a model number stamped on the blade either above or below the Disston Stamp. That is not an etch, but a stamp that was applied before the blade was hardened. They stamped the model number afterward, and it is always very faint. Look close, it may be there.
    If you keep the old sawnuts and old broken handle, it would not matter would it? What value is a rusty broken handle saw that you can't use?

Lowell,

Frankly, while Steven is enamored with his new purchase, and it is old, it is not collectible. Saws like this go unsold every day on Ebay. People are looking for complete examples which do not need to go to the custom shop. That is not to say that you couldn't get that saw to work with the right amount of hard work, but the end result is not something that people will be crawling over broken glass for. I'm generally very against removing handles and creating new ones for split nut saws, but in this case, no harm done.

I can post a picture of a "newer" No. 7....
    IMG_4259 (640x480).jpg
    Actually I have two of these...sitting in the til....seems to have been a bit better taken care of..
    IMG_4257 (640x480).jpg
    Will let the "Guru" explain the age of this one...
    IMG_4258 (640x480).jpg
    Oh look, this one still has a nib! And so does it's "twin" 7 ppi H. Disston & Sons No. 7...pre-1928.

Maybe 50 years younger than the other No. 7.....
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-21-2018 at 2:19 PM.

Steven,

I'll call your bet and raise it. Since I know you like to argue, I thought I would post a saw that no one can dispute the age on, although I'm sure you will try. A unique and curious #7. It's not any newer than Nov 18, 1879 as you can see from the patent date on the handle. The scholars at the Institute say that saw nut is no later than 1888, so sometime in that 9 year span. What is unique is the curve on the toe. No nib, never had one, left the factory that way. I'd say it's early in the production run. Only in average condition as saws in my collection go, but was handy.

7.jpg7handle.jpg7toe.jpg

Before I sold one saw...I rehabbed it up...to find out it was made during the first of the D-8 skewback runs...right after they gave one to Rutherford B. Hayes....you might even remember him...

So...how old is those pre-1928 No. 7s I have in my till? Hmmm?
    IMAG0183.jpg
    Part of a 4 saw "package deal" on that auction site..
    IMAG0182.jpg
    IMAG0184.jpg
    4 saws, one money...used the cash to buy other items...about the end of July, 2014...

All wound up about saws now? That must mean it's time to start another chisel alloy/sharpening thread...

Went to a Village-wide Yard sale Saturday
    Found an old hay wagon covered in tools....all of which I turned away from, including a D-8 thumbhole, 5ppi rip. Handle was "pristine" , plate was shiny.....but had more kinks in it than Hustler Magazine.
    2 rusty bucket mitre boxes, with saws....each of which was a size smaller than the two I already had in my shop...$45 for the pair....passed. Average price on that wagon was $20, including that D-8...

Found a garage sale a few miles outside of that town, and spent $5....for a large plastic tub...
    plastic tub.jpg
    Has filled with stuff. Once I get all the cords, chargers, powerstrips and junk ...
    IMG_4282 (640x480).jpg
    Layer..
    baggies.jpg
    Upon layer..
    IMG_4285 (640x480).jpg
    upon layer..
    2nd layer.jpg
    Upon layer..
    IMG_4288 (640x480).jpg
    Until I finally reached the bottom of the tub..
    last layer.jpg

After getting the usual sockets, screwdrivers, wrenches, Allen wrench sets, 5 bit holders and 20 bits for a couple driver handles/drills, a Forstner bit (1-3/8") Spade bit set...got things separated until stuff for the roll-around mechanic's tool chest, and things for the shop....Tub was a bit lighter to carry to the shop. $5? Power strip is now in use in the shop, BTW..may clean up that Cresent metal handled chisel....

The Boss even picked a Carpet cleaner/shampooer for $5! Was a very good day.

After all, that WAS what this thread was all about....finds from the yard sale trail....