Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 Garage Sale + $9 =2 saws...

Steven,

As you can plainly see, it is a model 10. The handle looks nothing like a #12 and everything like an early, British style drop front saw. He used domed nuts on his earliest saws, and he wasn’t alone. Other makers used them too.

OK, since there was another saw bought today....decided to try to clean it up. doubt there was a etch...so the sander and some 120 grit to remove the rust on the Rip saw's plate. I also removed the hardware, and wirewheeled them until they shone...nickle plate was flaky anyway. The tried to remove as much of that ugly red stain as I could, and sand the "stained hardwood" smooth. Once the bench is cleared (projects are still going on..)I can swing the saw vise back up, and sharpen those big teeth. Plate is stamped as a 5-1/2 ppi. Plate is straight. Had a double set of holes, though.

Since the rip saw isn't some collector's saw, I can refinish the handle as I chose....doubt if it is as old as Pete....

Jeez, in my answer to the OP, I apologize for saying there may be collector interest in the saw!

I don't claim to have great saw knowledge, but I have two similar saws: one Disston, stamped with 7, and another identical, but with no Disston stamped marks and a "Warren & Ted" medallion.

I'l let the grandkids fight over what they are, some day in the future!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

As a good citizen who feels an obligation to intervene any time I see two old ladies swinging purses at each other on a sidewalk, I thought I would offer to take it off your hands. I’ll even double your money.

Seriously though, whatever it is, and whoever is right, and whatever you do with it, it is a neat piece of history and it will be better off than it would be rotting away wherever you found it.

Thanks for sharing it.

Have a "new" tripod for the camera...may give it a test run later.....right hand shakes almost too much to take a drink from a glass, or a can of coke....doesn't help with taking pictures. Old tripod was broken/worn out.....Yard sales today..IN THE RAIN...grrrrrr, maybe better weather tomorrow? Estate sale today......fellow did not take any care with what tools he had.....even had 5 Log Scale Lufkin rulers....3 were broken..

Maybe after Lunch, I can get back to work on that bedframe project? haven't heard from the Boss what the rest of the day is to be like....

Test drive, with the new to me tripod...short test...battery on camera was needing a recharge..
    IMG_4261 (640x480).jpg
    Medallion view ( handle may have cracked from the wood shrinking over time? )
    IMG_4262 (640x480).jpg
    Spanner nuts, 3 normal size, and a smaller top one?
    IMG_4263.jpg
    Best view I can get. May a one time had a ----------WARRANTED? About all I can find is the "ED"
    Need to find a brush, so I can apply a shellac finish to that Rip saw's handle.....maybe after Lunch, eh?

Went with just a coat of Golden Oak stain on that rip saw's handle..
    IMG_4269 (640x480).jpg
    Plate has a "Grained" look to it..rather than a polished look. Bolts were nickle plated brass...most of the plating was flaking off, anyway.
    IMG_4275 (640x480).jpg
    Eagle, Warranted Superior. Hanlde is not a covertop one.
    IMG_4273 (640x480).jpg
    May get out the Millers Falls No. 214, type 1. Need to file the teeth, too. 5-1/2 is the stamp below the handle. Saw vise is a Wentworth No. 1

26" long plate is straight...doubt IF they used this saw all that much, anyway...

Besides the Wentworth No. 1...these were used..
    IMG_4277 (640x480).jpg
    Even put a new file in the holder! Set the teeth, then file at 90 degrees across. Did not "lean" the file forward, either...had a lot to file, cutting "face" of the teeth was leaning backwards.
    IMG_4279 (640x480).jpg
    And they were pretty dull. Piece of walnut in the vise for a test drive...
    IMG_4278 (640x480).jpg
    More operator error than the saw itself..but..
    IMG_4280 (640x480).jpg
    Kind of rough, but it is a 5-1/2 ppi Rip saw. Does cut fairly fast, too.

Plate does have a slight bow to it...working now on flexing the curve out...
    Not too bad, for a $5 saw?

And...I don't have to worry about how old it is.....