Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SawStop Promotions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Really not that unusual, Steve. Any number of other brands do the same. Festool, anyone?
    Yes. After purchasing a fair amount of Lie Nielsen products I'm familiar with the practice but even they don't dictate how sellers handle shipping costs. SawStop apparently requires a flat rate of $250 shipping for the PCS and #350 for the ICS. Ugly setup IMO.

Your posts make it sound like you're trying to talk yourself out of buying one. If so, no problem.

Your posts make it sound like you're trying to talk yourself out of buying one. If so, no problem.
    Not at all. I'll probably buy an ICS within a few days but will be kickin' and screamin' all the way to the order button. I was content with my Jet cabinet saw until my wife caught word of the SawStop safety feature. I don't need the upgraded ICS but I wasn't impressed with the PCS and thought it as a step down from the Jet.

"Incidentally, Bora has a new adjustable base, the 3550, which is 4-wheel swivel, kind of interesting, I put one under my planer recently, and I like it a lot."

I hadn't seen that one. The drawback, as I see it, is having to walk all around the machine to enage 4 levers, six if you have an extension on your saw. No thanks.
    You have to do that with all of the aftermarket 4-wheel bases that I know of.

The ICS base has screws that seem intended to prevent tipping of the saw when the saw is lifted by the base alone, as you do. You wouldn't need more than 4 wheels, and the same would apply for any other cabinet saw on a mobile base, or you should try to set it up that way. With the Sawstops, the extension table stuff is supported by the rails when the base lifts. The center of gravity is still usually over the the base, even without the "anti-tip screws", unless you're going to carry around weird objects (such as children?) on the extension table when the saw is moved.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    but I wasn't impressed with the PCS and thought it as a step down from the Jet.
    A step down? In what aspects?

As far as I know (even well before I owned a PCS), no one who has switched to a PCS from Jet or Powermatic has not been happier or felt after the switch that the PCS was a step down. A fully featured PCS (with the upgrades, that is) is nowhere weaker than an ICS except in the power (5HP or 7HP) based on my experience with both versions, dating back when SS came to the market.

Simon

I sold my Jet Xacta for Sawstop PCS and was really happy. Interesting thread and sounds like someone doesn't want a Sawstop. If you are kicking and screaming about it, do not buy it. Based on the comments, you will be unhappy with it.