Thread: New lathe

New lathe

I ordered a new lathe from Grizzly roughly 8 weeks ago. A close friend ordered a 14X20 six weeks before me. What is the problem with their inventory. I asked the nice lady why and got a polite reply that didn't answer my question. Can't blame her for giving a stock answer. 6 days latter I got a card from Grizzly. It stated about a delay and a number to call if I decide to cancel and a refund if paid by check. No reason why the delay. I also want a new drum sander and the one I want also is not in stock.

Looked at a couple used somewhat locally. Jet was beat badly. PM well used but looked nice the guy wanted 85% of new. Passed on both.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crofton View Post
    I ordered a new lathe from Grizzly roughly 8 weeks ago. A close friend ordered a 14X20 six weeks before me. What is the problem with their inventory. I asked the nice lady why and got a polite reply that didn't answer my question. Can't blame her for giving a stock answer. 6 days latter I got a card from Grizzly. It stated about a delay and a number to call if I decide to cancel and a refund if paid by check. No reason why the delay. I also want a new drum sander and the one I want also is not in stock.

Looked at a couple used somewhat locally. Jet was beat badly. PM well used but looked nice the guy wanted 85% of new. Passed on both.
    I have read somewhere on the general forum that Grizzly machine suppliers have gone through relocation and retooling the factories, and that some machines are slow in getting to them. They are doing everything they can to get orders filled, but at times when a shipment comes, every machine is already pre-ordered and they don't have any extra for stock supply, thus the next person who orders finds themselves having to wait for the next shipment.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Paul, it has everything to do with China's environmental problems being addressed. All of the foundries in the country that were not EPA compliant were shut down and the bulk of the work was sent to those that were compliant. So now they have fewer than 25% of their steel foundries in business so there is a large backlog.
    I don't think anyone saw this coming. Most of the larger manufactures here in the states that use Chinese companies are in the same fix. I waited over three months for my lathe last year.
    China has always had a poor record with air , water and ground quality when it comes to their manufacturing of goods. The rest of the world has been hounding them for years to become compliant. Now that they are headed in the right direction, I'm afraid we are in for longer waits and higher prices.
    Why do you think they can manufacture tools cheaper than the USA. Less government regs. and cheaper wages.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I think if you search many posts on SMC you will see that this is the norm for anything from Grizzly.....

The problem is that Grizzly is the end seller. If you were looking to buy, say a PowerMatic you would buy from a company that placed an order with PM and has stock. If a seller didn't have it in stock then you probably would just find a different seller. The seller could just take the order and then have PM ship it directly to you. PM may have it in stock or they could find a different seller who has it in stock and ship it from there. The problem is magnified because Grizzly sells their tools at a much lower price than what others do. That creates extra demand. Most people would love an American Beauty but they just can't justify the price. But for a 1/3 (or less) the price you can get a Grizzly that will have plenty of swing and power to handle large projects. Sure it's not as refined. I'm guessing that Grizzly is buying as much as they can but demand is greater than what the factory can supply. I seriously doubt that Grizzly wants to have to wait to get paid for selling you a lathe anymore than you want to wait for them to ship it.

It would be nice if there was some way to check on progress. For example how many of each model are on order, how many were put on a container ship, what day the ship left port, what day the ship came into the US port, and if your lathe (or what ever) is on that ship. It's also too bad that Grizzly wouldn't offer customers who wait more than a month something to offset the wait. Maybe store credit towards a future purchase or some supplies that it will need (saw blades, lathe tools, sanding belts, etc).

I believe the owner of Grizzly watches this forum, and perhaps he would extend a gratuity to help relieve the pain of waiting. I am sure he values the customers that use this forum, as well as other venues, but some things are out of his bailiwick.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.