Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Material for Name Tags

Recommended Material for Name Tags

I will be using the 40W VLS 3.50 from ULS to produce metal name tags for law enforcement, and I am having a bit of trouble determining what type of material to use for the name tags. I am very new to laser engraving so any assistance is helpful. It is my understanding that certain types of metal work better than others, and that some wouldn't work at all. Would using Cermark be a good option depending on the material? I have also looked into using Alumamark but the material seems to be too thin, but I am open to suggestions if it would be the best option.

The tags will be gold and 3/4" x 3". Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

Joe
    Welcome to SMC.

The metal name tags used by police officers around here are not engraved with a laser but with a rotary type machine that routs out enough of the brass to permit a color fill, usually a black enamel.

Cermark is not likely to do the job as it doesn't adhere well to brass.

Your next option is laminated plastic, which you can get in a bright gold finish and laser engrave to black.

The other thing common to police and military name tags is that they tend to use the pinch clasp fasteners so you'll need to check that out too.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Joe
    I produce an awful of name badges for regional companies & Foundations; mostly using LaserMax plastics with magnet backings; have never had a complaint.

Still, I’d like to add this ‘bout selling name badges; what I've come to call - “the Quandary”. It’s sensible to price ‘em based on the quantity being ordered initially, right? - priced reasonably enough to get the business, the job. But, afterwards, what happens (‘least to me) - from then on out they’ll order one, or two, at a time, while expecting the original (quantity) price! So, you want’ a make sure that they're clear on your price for individual badges - just a thought!
    (Especially, if you end up, somehow, using Cermark or color fill for a metal badge: time is money!) - BILL
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

What Bill just said and also I make pricey name tags from the Chewbarka metal tags, the thinner ones. Not sure if they make the size you need however, but they sure look nice, especially when used with my Galvo Fiber machine. https://www.chewbarka.com/[url] .
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-17-2018 at 3:40 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I agree with Mike Null on material.

Here is where you can get them...............
    https://www.johnsonplastics.com/engr...g-with-pinback
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Blog Entries
    Bill, it is Chewbarka.COM, not net.......

And Tony or anyone else have you tried fiber on the Johnson tags? Etch White I would assume?
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

We make-- actually, someone else 'makes' the badges-- we PROVIDE - badges for law enforcement for several in-state departments, and a few from out of state. Also make badges for a few Fire departments. We've been doing this since the 1960's. BECAUSE we provide police badges, like noticing every car on the road just like the new car you just bought, I ALWAYS look at police badges every chance I get, to see how others are 'made'. Cops in movies, cops on 'Cops', on the news, in person- Never in over 50 years have I seen a police officer wearing a plastic badge. They are invariably brass or 'silver', which is nickel brass. These individuals hold themselves and their organizations to a high standard, and rightly so, and plastic badges clash with gold shields

And the sad fact about nice brass and nickel brass badges is, in most cases they can't be laser engraved. Cutter tools and paint are required...

As for clasps, the clutch (pinch) type clasp is the norm, but magnetic clasps are getting REALLY popular...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the replies everyone. The main reason for wanting to use a laser instead of rotary is mostly due to the amount of name tags needed to be engraved (~3,000), and trying cut down on time as well as the painting step. I came across this video while doing some research, and was wondering if anyone could help determine what type of tag this might be https://youtu.be/lWnLZl8KOH0

That being said, the name tags do need to be metal, so if rotary is the best option I am open to that being the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gergely View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The main reason for wanting to use a laser instead of rotary is mostly due to the amount of name tags needed to be engraved (~3,000), and trying cut down on time as well as the painting step. I came across this video while doing some research, and was wondering if anyone could help determine what type of tag this might be https://youtu.be/lWnLZl8KOH0

That being said, the name tags do need to be metal, so if rotary is the best option I am open to that being the solution.
    The video appears to be brass name tags being engraved by a Fiber laser. I'm not sure that dark of mark is the typical result though. I'm sure others here with more experience with the Fiber lasers can weigh in on that.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Bill, it is Chewbarka.COM, not net.......

And Tony or anyone else have you tried fiber on the Johnson tags? Etch White I would assume?
    That is weird. I have been using that Link for a while so I know it worked, but its now corrected.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

John,

Brass badge blanks from Johnsons are meant to be rotary engraved and oxidized or color filled.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

edit edit edit edit -- I love (hate) making a liar out of myself

I was all ready to give some so-so reviews about that brass name plate engraved in that video, mostly I was going to point out the engraving more brown than black, especially when viewed at the engraving angle... But hey- my BIL just finished a job on the fiber a bit ago, and I have lots of messed up brass badges to screw around with, lets see what happens... And when I got started on the testing, I was getting a whole bunch of nothing going on. Then I then I slowed it down, then upped the freq, then lowered the freq, then tightened the hatch, then doubled the hatch-

I took quite a few changes, then suddenly I got black! With a couple of tweaks, I got BLACK! So I ran a one n'done to see what I'd get--

I have to admit, I'm actually quite surprised! I must point out that this is the first time I've tried engraving "engravers" brass, which is very easy to tool engrave, lots of lead in it. All other brass I've ever engraved has been hard brass, like bullet casings and such. But again, I've never sat down for any length of time with hard brass either. I have figured out how to get hard brass to go dark brown, or go 'bright'- but never black-

But THIS-- is BLACK! Ok, ever so slight hint of brown, maybe - but I took these pics at various angles and light just to see if it would 'holograph', go brown or 'fade'... it doesn't! Just stays black!
    Now there is one fix needed, you'll notice some angled hash marks- this is because I used the 'fast hatch', and those lines can appear at the seams where it stops and comes back and engraves the opposite direction. All that's need is to change out the fast hatch for the 'clean' hatch

Aside from that, this turned out much better than I ever expected!
    bt1.jpgbt2.jpgbt3.jpg
    bt4.jpgbt5.jpgbt6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

If I were bidding a 3000 piece name tag order I would be certain that my product met the spec. I worked with 4 different fiber mfrs and couldn't get a satisfactory black result on brass. Therefore I don't own a fiber machine.

If you're new to engraving this job may not be the one you should begin with. This is a tedious job with substantial set up and fill time not to mention material cost. You also need to find means of automating the input of names.

Keep in mind that PERFECT is the acceptable standard. Centered, neatly filled, polished, no scratches, individually packaged.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 05-17-2018 at 8:12 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Keep in mind that PERFECT is the acceptable standard. Centered, neatly filled, polished, no scratches, individually packaged.
    This might be my new favorite quote. It sums up the issues we have with our laser business to a tee.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8