Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Crane 1 ton or 2 ton?

Shop Crane 1 ton or 2 ton?

I worked 25 years running a retail Garden Center. Would unload a truck full of 15 gal trees without fooling to get the forklift.
    Fast forward about 8 years since I left that job. Two weeks ago I purchased a 350 lb tool chest. Guess I'm not what I use to be. Unloading that thing was a job for sure. Starting to think about a shop crane.

Not too concerned with the difference in price. Only the foot print it will take in my shop.
    Any opinion on a 1 ton vs a 2 ton for a home shop. I do not do car repairs like an engine replacement.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ane-69514.html
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The few times I've needed a shop crane I rented it. They take up a lot of space for as often as you would need it. Disregard if you have a large shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would say most folks extend the boom to pretty much full length. This will reduce capacity to 1/2 or 1/4 of rated load. For made in China lift I would stay under 1/2 of rated load at whatever extension you need. In a wood shop max load is probably 500 pounds or less.
    If you are unloading from a modern pickup you need a 2 ton to get the height needed. Truck beds floor height went up about 6-8 inches in the last 10 years for no reason except to look cool and make them less useful for actual hauling. I am 6'2" and I am too short for a modern full size truck bed. I can barely reach into it from the side and certainly not to the middle.
    Bill D

I have had the 2 ton HF shop crane/engine lift for quite awhile and really like it. It folds up nicely.

Not the same type crane you are considering but I bought a Vestil 1 ton gantry crane from Northern and a 1 ton chain hoist from HF. I sprung for the aluminum one. I couldn't believe how much I have used it over the past year while setting up my new shop. I can back my truck or flat bed trailer into the garage bay and under the crane, lift and then drive the truck out. It rolls around extremely easily. Even with a one ton load you can push it around with one hand.

I will echo what Bill said except I'm not 6'2". I don't think one takes up more space then the other. I would get a foldable one.

I use a chain hoist which is perfect for how often I need to lift something.. Definitely not a crane, however if you have attachment points on your ceiling, it's an effective way to lift heavy items.. I have lifted tables saw on and off my pickup bed a few times with ease..

2 ton for sure. Mainly for full extension/height lifts to remove machinery from trailers, etc.

I used mine yesterday and worked like a charm. I’d like to pickup a load leveler at some point.

2 Ton. As noted above, it's the answer to the reach question.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thanks, Just the info I was looking for.

Maybe I can now justify buying that compact tractor I want and forget the shop crane.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I use a 2 ton chain hoist hung from a shop made gantry.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Get the 2 ton..
    20151117_160849.jpg

One of the things that also come in handy is an assortment of straps,ones with loops on the end and endless straps plus several of those shackles I think they are called

Many fold the long legs up.

They really don’t take up much space. At most 6sf folded up, there was a thread on it a few days ago.