Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cordless chain saw

Last night I watched, "Ask This Old House" on PBS. They showed the Greenworks line of tools. Very interesting products. The problem is of course to limit the different brands of batteries to keep it simple. With technology changes it seems like we're always tempted with the latest and greatest.

The Greenworks 80v and the Kobalt 80v are identical, as far as I can tell, with one exception: the designs have been deliberately altered to make it physically impossible to use the [otherwise fully compatible] batteries from one on the other.

3. Battery chainsaws offer you the obvious advantage of convenience. And one of the most obvious cons is the lack of usefulness in more intense situations, where a heavy-duty chainsaw becomes essential. If you're convinced that you won't be needing it for heavy-duty tasks (or if you have another powerful chainsaw, perhaps a gas-driven model, already available for those situations), then you can opt for a battery-operated chainsaw without any doubt. I've purchased the BLACK + DECKER LCS1240 a couple of months back, after going through a lot of reviews. So far, it's serving me well, and I'm more than satisfied with it. The only occasional hiccup is oil spills from the tank, but it's not frequent enough to be a significant issue for most people, I guess.

I bought a Ryobi attachment for my stable of batteries. It is a total joke. Don't even remotely consider this P.O.S., in my opinion

I have the same saw and have been impressed with how well and how long it cuts. It has handled mesquite etc with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I bought a Ryobi attachment for my stable of batteries. It is a total joke. Don't even remotely consider this P.O.S., in my opinion
    I was about to say that also; it was worthless.

My Dad has the 40v version from Ryobi and I’m super impressed with it for trimming road sides and smaller trees around the farm. In fact he rarely uses the gas powered Sthil any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post

I am quite fond of the manual chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    I am quite fond of the manual chainsaw.
    Seriously, for small things the saw I reach for the most is a hand saw. IMO there is nothing better than a Silky - I've used this one for a decade:
    https://www.baileysonline.com/silky-...al-27033s.html
    It will easily saw through 4 and even 6" limbs, much safer than a chain saw, and light weight for climbing.

Some people use a bow saw to cut up even fairly large logs. Good exercise.

I don't have a battery powered chain saw. I do make good use of a Stihl 110v electric chain saw for cutting up logs and such for turning, both outside and inside the shop.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I have the same one, and my only gripe is the quality of the chain, but thats easily replaced. I have a small stihl gas powered saw, but my defibrillator manufacturer says to stay away from small gas engines.... I think that is a wise idea, spark plugs and sensors do not get along well.
    I ended up buying the same one and have the same problems. Not real happy.

Thank you for the update.

I have been considering the Makita with cord as number 1. Seemed like I had not heard many people talk up their Stihl.
    But if I here good things about a cordless saw that runs off some of the batteries that match other tools I have I may go cordless.
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Rhoads View Post
    ... Seemed like I had not heard many people talk up their Stihl.
    I can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread, but I have four Stihl chainsaws, one of them a corded electric. I love that saw and use it when I'm within a few hundred feet of power but I've run it with as much as 400' of 10 and 12 ga extension cord. I use it just outside the shop a lot to prepare log sections for cutting turning blanks on the shop bandsaw or trimming logs for the sawmill. I use it inside the shop at times when it's freezing or pouring rain outside.

It cuts extremely well. I have an electric chainsaw sharpener so it's easy to keep it sharp. The only downside for me is it was not cheap.

Just like all electrics, corded or cordless, I like that I don't have to mix gas and oil, pull to start, warm up the saw before use, or keep it running while I do something else. It stops very quickly. Lighter weight than my gasoline powered Stihl chainsaws, don't know how it compares to battery powered. Being corded I never have to charge or buy replacements when batteries die. I don't have to worry about old gasoline in the tank and carburetor - I can get it out two years later and it starts and runs the same!

A few years ago I cleaned up and organized too aggressively and put the saw safely towards the back of a deep shelf in the shop. I didn't need it for a year or so and when I did I forgot I had put it up and couldn't find it! I had almost decided I'd left it outside and someone carried it off, difficult with our gates and fences and guard animals but I couldn't think of anything else. Fortunately I found it the morning of the day I was headed out to buy a new one - I get a lot of use from my gasoline saws but I'd really hate to be without the electric.

JKJ

I feel the same way as John. I have a Husqvarna corded that is brilliant and as nuts as it sounds if I had to do work away from the shop I'd take a generator to power it over getting a battery powered version. My father got a Stihl corded saw when he was in his late 70's. He would get a logging truck load of logs every couple years and use the corded saw exclusively to cut the logs into firewood to heat his place. He went through 4 or 5 loads before the saw gave out. It probably would have run a lot longer if he was into checking brushes etc.

If I were to get a cordless the Husqvarna and Stihl saws would be the first saws I would look at.

14. I use 20v 12" Dewalt in shop especially for balancing or removing corners of large pieces already mounted on faceplate/lathe. Also for up to 8-10 inches in field but for ripping etc I use gas saw.

I have the Ryobi 40v and have used it a fair amount. It has been good to me. I'm impressed with how well it cuts.
    Battery works with my string trimmer, hedge trimmer and blower. One of my batteries died and they did a warranty replacement.