Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cordless chain saw

For a electric saw you might consider the Worx model. It is reasonably priced, has Lasted for a couple of years, and can use Oregon chains. For a cordless model I use a 40 volt model from Greenworks. Battery lasts a long time and has plenty of power. Neither are a complete replacement for a gas saw but they work great for sawing bowl blanks, trimming trees, and cross cutting longer logs. Nice part is they can be put away without worrying the gas going stale.

I have two electric Stihl saws, one battery (MSA 120 C) the other corded (MSE 140 C). Both work extremely well and are in constant use. I use the battery saw indoors and outside for small jobs. It has an excellent run time, is light weight and very convenient. It's veryhandy to grab and go. The corded saw is used mostly in the shop when I need it for larger pieces or extended cutting. Yes Stihl saws are expensive but my experience has been very positive. In addition, I have several gas Stihl saws for large projects - an 041 AV, purchased in 1976 is still going strong. One thing that took a little time to get used to with the electric saws is to remember to check the bar oil. Gas saws usually require topping off the bar oil with each gas fill so it's rare to run out of oil. It's hard to keep track of how much bar oil remains in your electric saw.

The work group at church recently added some tools including the 40V Ryobi chain saw and chain pole saw. I observed the use of the pole saw and chain saw last Saturday taking down 2 good size Live Oak trees. Pole saw was used to cut down 6" D limbs and did a good job. Chain saw was primarly used to trim limbs after larger sections cut down with gas chain saws. The first battery lasted well, much better than I expected. The 40V also is used for leaf blower and hedge trimmer. Handy tools to have around church.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Barou View Post
    I have two electric Stihl saws, one battery (MSA 120 C) the other corded (MSE 140 C). Both work extremely well and are in constant use. I use the battery saw indoors and outside for small jobs. It has an excellent run time, is light weight and very convenient. It's veryhandy to grab and go. The corded saw is used mostly in the shop when I need it for larger pieces or extended cutting. Yes Stihl saws are expensive but my experience has been very positive. In addition, I have several gas Stihl saws for large projects - an 041 AV, purchased in 1976 is still going strong. One thing that took a little time to get used to with the electric saws is to remember to check the bar oil. Gas saws usually require topping off the bar oil with each gas fill so it's rare to run out of oil. It's hard to keep track of how much bar oil remains in your electric saw.
    i was wondering these one thank you!

I already have the Ryobi 40V weed eater and hedge trimmer so if I am that invested I may as well go for their chain saw too.