Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cordless chain saw

cordless chain saw

Anyone have any ideas on a cordless chainsaw. Thinking about getting one for cutting wood for turning wood. Any ideas pro con size battery size bar size etc.

Did you read the one I posted a few days ago? Scroll down. DeWalt 20v chainsaw. It's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on a cordless chainsaw. Thinking about getting one for cutting wood for turning wood. Any ideas pro con size battery size bar size etc.
    Robert, I have the 14" Lynxx 40v chainsaw (Harbor Freight private label). Used it for several months to clean up storm damage, and for jobs where I didn't want to bother with fuel mix. Largest material I've cut is 10" black walnut, and it easily handled that. Impressive power and battery life between charges, in fact I've yet to have to stop to recharge or switch batteries during a job. Also have the other Lynxx 40v tools, and the lithium batteries are interchangeable and quick charge.

I have an 80v "Kobalt" from Lowes. It seems to be identical to the similar "Greenworks." It's fine for discrete cutting or for indoors work. But pretty much all cordless or electric chainsaws have a lack of power and a light duty construction for the ripping cuts you often do preparing wood for turning. Still, it's a nice thing to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    Robert, will you be using it near the shop or out in the woods? If near or in the shop, I haven't found anything better than a Stihl electric. The one I have cuts as well as my gasoline powered saws. Not cheap, but funny thing, sometimes you get what you pay for.

I know nothing about battery-powered chain saws except for two things - the one I tried was incredibly wimpy compared to both the gas and corded Stihl saws, and I avoid battery-powered tools unless necessary since in my experience the batteries eventually go and replacements are high. I prefer a Stihl gasoline-powered saw (I use two MS250 saws and one larger saw) for away from electrical power. They are definitely cordless. Just pour in more liquid battery as needed.

However, much depends on how much and under what conditions you will use the chainsaw. A little battery-powered saw may be perfect for limited but regular use.

JKJ

I have the Greenworks 16-inch 40v cordless saw and am very pleased. It will cut for a very long time between charges and power is comparable to a gas saw. Of course, when choosing, you basically commit to the "family" of cordless tools that use the same (expensive) battery pack. I subsequently bought the Greenworks pole hedge trimmer and it also works great.

One point in making my decision last year is that Stihl reportedly purchased a minority share in Greenworks in 2016. Bottom line: A cordless chain saw is perfect for keeping in the car for those fallen tree opportunities... and does not make the noise or odors/mess of the gas versions...

Ely

The 80v kobalt / greenworks actually has pretty good power, comparable to a plugged in saw pulling 12 amps or so. But like most "consumer" chainsaws, the whole thing is just not sturdy enough for ripping (it tends to chatter). The battery life is also very poor when under heavy load. I once used the saw to rip a huge (bigger than 20") crepe myrtle trunk in half. It had the power for the cut but the battery didn't last long enough to finish it.

Recent post mentioned: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t-20v-Chainsaw

I personally have the EGO 56V chainsaw and very satisfied with it.

I hav ethe same one, and my only gripe is the quality of the chain, but thats easily replaced. I have a small stihl gas powered saw, but my defibrillator manufacturer says to stay away from small gas engines.... I think that is a wise idea, spark plugs and sensors do not get along well.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I would not buy the corded Stihl MSE250 ELETRIC. After recommending it often for the last year and a half since I bought it, it blew up about 2 days ago ... motor is shot ... $350 fix.

How did the Stihl die?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Baler View Post
    I would not buy the corded Stihl MSE250 ELETRIC. After recommending it often for the last year and a half since I bought it, it blew up about 2 days ago ... motor is shot ... $350 fix.
    Gary, curious, when you said "blew up" do you mean it exploded or made a sudden noise and locked up or quit? Did they say what caused it?

Or do you mean the motor just quit, perhaps smelled hot?

Had you been using it heavily for a time just before? Was it plugged directly into an outlet or on an extension cord? usually or always?

JKJ

John, The motor just stopped ... took it to a GOOD chainsaw repair ..said the motor is finished. Before it stopped, I had made about a 1" cut in a piece of elm and stopped to adjust the log. It was dead when I squeezed the trigger again. That was the first time I had used it that day.

It was plugged into a 30 amp outlet with a 12 gauge extension cord. Should have been heavy enough for 100 ft. Had 25 ft cord on it. I blew out the vents after each use with 160 lb. air hose pressure.

There was no indication that it was ever hot ... occasionally tripped the overload ... but not often. No burn odor, no smoke, no decrease in power. The saw cuts good ... I keep the chains sharp and pretty much just set it on the log and let it cut. Sometimes at the bottom of a cut I needed to pressure it ... but not usually. This has been a very good saw (I have praised it on this blog several times_) until it quit. Just don't feel I should be finished with it so soon.

I have to have an electric saw or the neighbors will call the police. I turn a LOT ... 3-400 pieces plus. But, most of the heavy cutting is done with MS 290... I also have a 661 for big stuff. The electric is just used to nip off corners or trim up blanks that need work before I put them on the lathe.

Bummer. If it just stopped it's probably a motor winding. It might be worth letting a motor shop take a look. They can check the resistance and continuity of all the windings and see if there is a broken connection and maybe shorted windings from an insulation failure. I recently checked some electric shears for a fellow llama owner and found exactly that. In her case the stator was fine but the armature was shot, fortunately not too expensive to replace. I've had motors rewound before and the price was reasonable. Certainly cheaper than what Stihl quoted.

Did you try bypassing the switch and the kickback safety switch? Switches are often the first to quit. The switches I've seen in chainsaws are sometimes pathetic.

I use my Stihl electric a lot but never tripped a thermal overload. I wonder if your's was slowly going bad. I also blow the dust out of mine occasionally but gently, never with that high a pressure. Hope the high pressure didn't cause a problem.

Why would the neighbors call the police? Do you live in some kind of restricted neighborhood. I think chainsaws are legal to operate otherwise during reasonable hours. I use my electric just outside and inside the shop, mostly since it saves me from firing up one of the loud gasoline saws.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Baler View Post
    John, The motor just stopped ... took it to a GOOD chainsaw repair ..said the motor is finished. Before it stopped, I had made about a 1" cut in a piece of elm and stopped to adjust the log. It was dead when I squeezed the trigger again. That was the first time I had used it that day.

It was plugged into a 30 amp outlet with a 12 gauge extension cord. Should have been heavy enough for 100 ft. Had 25 ft cord on it. I blew out the vents after each use with 160 lb. air hose pressure.

There was no indication that it was ever hot ... occasionally tripped the overload ... but not often. No burn odor, no smoke, no decrease in power. The saw cuts good ... I keep the chains sharp and pretty much just set it on the log and let it cut. Sometimes at the bottom of a cut I needed to pressure it ... but not usually. This has been a very good saw (I have praised it on this blog several times_) until it quit. Just don't feel I should be finished with it so soon.

I have to have an electric saw or the neighbors will call the police. I turn a LOT ... 3-400 pieces plus. But, most of the heavy cutting is done with MS 290... I also have a 661 for big stuff. The electric is just used to nip off corners or trim up blanks that need work before I put them on the lathe.

I have an update on my Stihl electric chainsaw woes. I received an update from Stihl today. They said that my problem was extremely unusual and that they would stand beside the product, replace the motor and were happy to do it even though the saw was over the warranty period. I have to apologize to them for being hasty and assuming the worst. I now happy that I have sang their praises over the years ... wonderful news.

15. I've been using the dewalt 40v 16" for a couple years now. It's performed flawlessly. My only real gripe about it is that there's nothing else that I need that uses the same battery. They now also make a 'flexvolt' version, which comes with batteries that will also work with older 20v tools. If I was going to buy again, I'd go with that model.