Thread: Llamas to a TV commercial shoot

Llamas to a TV commercial shoot

I took some llamas to the park at the 1982 Worlds Fair site in Knoxville today for a TV commercial shoot. The commercial is to publicize a charity event, the Great Llama Race, to raise funds for the Casa De Sara. http://casadesara.org/

The last time I did this it was in an indoor studio and the llamas didn't care for the location. This time the they liked the location better. The Sunsphere is in the background. No llamas were harmed in the production of this commercial.

llama_race_commercial.jpg

Baby llama Nika was shy and hid behind mama.

JKJ

John, those are big animals. How tall are they ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    John, those are big animals. How tall are they ?
    I haven't paid attention, but the biggest one, the mama, is taller than me, weighs about 300 lbs. This is me shearing her a couple of years ago but she is not standing up straight in the restraint chute. I'm going to shear here next week before the real summer heat. I'm glad I took the time to build the chute.

The one on the right, Bubinga, is the son of one of those that went to the lady in Georgia.

JKJ

There is a ranch here that will sell or lease a Llama to you. they have a barn and take care of it for a fee. you get to go play with it when you want to. I think they are trying to sell them as an investment. What happened to raising ostriches for fun and profit?
    I remember the adds in the back of popular mechanics for raising chinchillas for money.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    There is a ranch here that will sell or lease a Llama to you. they have a barn and take care of it for a fee. you get to go play with it when you want to. I think they are trying to sell them as an investment. What happened to raising ostriches for fun and profit?
    I remember the adds in the back of popular mechanics for raising chinchillas for money.
    Bil lD
    Llamas aren't much for playing with people. You can walk them around on a leash but they usually don't like it. What they like best is staying away from people and running free in a herd of llamas in a place with lots of food and where the temperature is cold. Alpacas are mostly raised for their fiber.

This is their favorite environment:

llamas_alpacas_snow.jpg

Some years ago there was a pyramid scheme luring people to invest in llamas and alpacas. Some breeding animals would sell for huge sums with the promise that the offspring could also be sold for huge sums. That worked for a while until they ran out of suckers, er, investors. The problem now is too many llamas/alpacas and not enough people with the facilities, time, and commitment to care for them. I volunteer with the South East Llama Rescue organization and we take in, catch, or confiscate llamas and alpaca that are running wild or those people can't or won't care for. There are way too many.

You can still sell high quality animals but the prices are less extreme. I paid $800 for one purebred with a good pedigree and sold another for $400. I had two high-end fiber alpacas that cost someone maybe $10,000 - I gave them away last year.

llamas_field.jpg

JKJ