Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Router recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    Of all of them, I still like my old Porter-Cable 690, which has both a fixed, plunge, and D-handle base, which is the one I use the most for edge routing and such.
    +1 on this. I like the D handle. And the PC can grow with you.

My second recommendation would be to just quit over thinking it, and buy a very basic router off craigslist (brand doesnt matter). My first router was an old craftsman that was given to me... it worked, and I made many great projects with it. Given you have little $ into it that way, you will learn what features you DO want then be more deliberate on your second router purchase. Sell the one you bought, if you are even a little bit patient you may even make a few $ on the CL purchase.

Just a thought...

doh! I just saw this after posting.

Perfect deal - go make something!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Something no one has mentioned yet, I don't think. For handheld routers, you don't want too tall, they can be tippy. That's one of the complaints about the Porter-Cable 89x fixed base; it's pretty tall. I have one with the grip vac handle - sort of like a D handle with dust collection that works better than it looks like it would. The grip vac handle helps with the tippy issue. The Porter Cable plunge base seems like the DeWalt 618 plunge base machined to fit the Porter Cable motor. Porter Cable routers had significant reliability issues with their variable speed modules in the 7529 & 8529 series, I haven't heard any complaints with the 89x series.
    Today, for the first time in years I took out my PC 7529 plunge router for some shop and cabinet projects. It was dead. I f
    didn’t Leave it that way, and it was properly stored. I bought that router in 2000 and was told it was perfect for use it as a base router for the router table I’m going to build this winter. I have a variety of projects lined 8p that run the gamut.
    whaich router can serve double duty both in and out of the router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mike...consider this: online reviews typically skew to the negative for almost anything because folks are more inclined to complain about an issue than they are to praise something that's satisfying. That's the reality of how people act.
    What Jim said. I was shopping PC motherboards. One I was considering had 50% 1 star ratings and bad reviews. The RMA rate was about 7%, nowhere near 50%, and it looks like a significant portion of those simply needed a BIOS upgrade. Yes I read reviews, especially if there are quite a few but they're not the sole criteria.

Blog Entries
    Here are some deal breaker features:
    — electronic speed control
    — soft start
    — on the larger routers removable collets are pretty standard and are a must.
    — availability of 8mm collets or adapter. I only have a few 8mm bits. Adapter is fine.

Isn’t it every woodworker’s dream to build a beautiful, accurate, and predetermined cut or flawless milling panel of wood that will become a piece of the art for a family home, or a bendable plastic, or making outstanding industrial carvings? Well, a best CNC router is here to make that dream a reality.
    Not really. My dream is to have one of those Jessica Alba look-alike shop elves that somebody here mentioned years ago.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I really appreciate all the recommendations and comments. If I had to pull the trigger today I'm leaning to the Blue - Makita RF1101Kit2. Got a few Makita cordless tools, a corded grinder as well and I really like them. There are 0% 1-star reviews and 2% 2-star reviews on Amazon for the kit with fixed base, plunge base, 1/4" & 1/2" collets and wrenches. It does not come with a dust collection adapter. I believe I read at least one review that said the adapter wasn't very good even if you did buy it as an option.

Can anyone comment on dust collection with this router or any other comments good or bad for this Makita router? Sounds like edge guide isn't the greatest. Anyone got experience it or with a better replacement? An edge guide would seem very useful for some of the things I want to do with a router.

Amazon link to the router package...https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RF1101...ct_top?ie=UTF8

One last thing, I'm going to wait and hope there may be a sale for Father's Day. Anyone recall if Makita discounts this router or their tools in general that might get me a discount on it then? Or maybe a retailer/reseller does?

Thanks!!!
    Mike
    I can't say about Makita's dust collection, never used a Makita router. I do have a P-C 89x and the dust collection on the plunge base works very well as long as the hole in the base is completely covered by the work. Edge work dust collection works but not as well IME. The P-C 89x plunge base is pretty much the same as the DeWalt 618 so I'd expect the same of DeWalt.