Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router recommendations

I dislike routers and avoid them whenever possible.

Yet somehow I have accumulated at least a half dozen of them and a drawer full of bits. I have two Milwaukees in router tables, a couple DW618 3 base kits, a Rigid laminate/trim router and a couple of older 70s vintage routers. Of the hand routers, I use the DW618 in the D handle base the most. I like the soft start on the DeWalts and have always been partial to D handles, even though I think most woodworkers don't care for them. After that I use the Rigid trim router quite a bit. It is handy for quick chamfers and round overs as long as they aren't too big. I like the Rigid because the switch protrudes from the base and it turns itself off if you set it on its top. It is soft start as well.

If I could have only one router, it would be the 3 base DeWalt set; it is by far the most versatile with fixed, D handle and plunge base. And I am not even a big fan of DeWalt Tools. The trim router is awful handy as well.

I really appreciate all the recommendations and comments. If I had to pull the trigger today I'm leaning to the Blue - Makita RF1101Kit2. Got a few Makita cordless tools, a corded grinder as well and I really like them. There are 0% 1-star reviews and 2% 2-star reviews on Amazon for the kit with fixed base, plunge base, 1/4" & 1/2" collets and wrenches. It does not come with a dust collection adapter. I believe I read at least one review that said the adapter wasn't very good even if you did buy it as an option.

Can anyone comment on dust collection with this router or any other comments good or bad for this Makita router? Sounds like edge guide isn't the greatest. Anyone got experience it or with a better replacement? An edge guide would seem very useful for some of the things I want to do with a router.

Amazon link to the router package...https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RF1101...ct_top?ie=UTF8

One last thing, I'm going to wait and hope there may be a sale for Father's Day. Anyone recall if Makita discounts this router or their tools in general that might get me a discount on it then? Or maybe a retailer/reseller does?

Thanks!!!
    Mike

3. My first router used a ring that rotated around the motor to adjust height, I thought that worked fine until I got one that uses a knob/threaded rod system to adjust height.
    I like the knob/threaded rod height adjust design much better.
    My router pretty much stays installed on a simple router table so that probably influences why I like the particular design of height adjustment.
    Spindle lock and soft start are very nice features, but not deal breakers for me.
    If the router comes with an edge guide that's a plus.
    I would get a router that comes with 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets.
    Self ejecting collets are IMO essential.

I have a few smaller routers but I prefer a large one in a table. My Dewalt 625 has been under the table for many years. The upper bearing just failed. I replaced it with a Triton. I am in the process of rebuilding the Dewalt. I will use it as a plunger. Having said that. If I had to get by with just one router It would be a Bosch 1617EVS with both bases.
    Charlie Jones

Something no one has mentioned yet, I don't think. For handheld routers, you don't want too tall, they can be tippy. That's one of the complaints about the Porter-Cable 89x fixed base; it's pretty tall. I have one with the grip vac handle - sort of like a D handle with dust collection that works better than it looks like it would. The grip vac handle helps with the tippy issue. The Porter Cable plunge base seems like the DeWalt 618 plunge base machined to fit the Porter Cable motor. Porter Cable routers had significant reliability issues with their variable speed modules in the 7529 & 8529 series, I haven't heard any complaints with the 89x series.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Can anyone comment on dust collection with this router or any other comments good or bad for this Makita router? Sounds like edge guide isn't the greatest. Anyone got experience it or with a better replacement? An edge guide would seem very useful for some of the things I want to do with a router.
    I can comment on dust collection on routers and edge guides in general. Dust collection on a router is very dependent on the cut being made. I have a few dust collection fittings for various routers. The type that fits above and below the plate for edge forming are great for that task, useless for dados; I have another type for that. Edge work that is "open air" uses one kind of shroud:

Dust Port.JPG . Onieda router dc.JPG

whereas cuts made with the material setting on a surface uses another:

Mil DC.JPG

There are several variations on these and in practice, they only come into play when I am doing a lot of repetitious work. In my one-man shop this is rare but, I wouldn't want to be without them.

I have a few edge guides and don't use them often. This is just me. I have grown into methods that use templates and/or guide bushings for these tasks where someone else would use an edge guide. Its just two ways of skinning the cat and there are more. If you have not found yourself pining for an edge guide I would wait. You could make a quicky shop made version for a task and see if an edge guide is your preferred way of doing that task.

Media Cabinet (59).jpg

This picture is without any clean up after cutting the groove. In this case the edge guide and the dust shroud worked great. Other situations are not so great.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-19-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

the handles are up high on the big porter cable plunge, on the other model they are down low. They do different work. I have three of those one plunge and two of the lower handles forgot the numbers. Ive done a massive amount of work with them usually turned on and running for three hours straight. Zero issues with any of them and still original bearings.

If you have a DeWalt DW611 router, DeWalt sells optional dust collection fittings for both the fixed and plunge bases. I found them on www.ereplacementparts.com and ordered both. They install via included thumb screws in existing threaded holes and can be removed and replaced easily. They seem to work quite well for the times that I've used them, but they do allow some dust to escape when doing some routing operations. I wish I could find similar vacuum pieces for my DW618 router fixed and D handle bases.

Charley

Really like my Bosch 1617 kit. Came with the fixed and plunge base. The fixed was mounted upside down in my table for a while but I honestly don't feel it's designed to support the weight. The adjustment stopped one day an I noticed a little C clip camp off. Lot of stress it put on the C clip when adjusting from above the table. I ended up getting a dedicated lift.

The 1617 has an edge guide that's great. I don't know about the above table dust collection. I don't think I have the piece but should look into it. The 1617 also gets used to trim rifle brass. Works great!

For what it’s worth routers always scared the bejesus out of me. I hated how they tipped and sputtered, slippery plunges that overshot or were too sticky to plunge to the correct depth or would slip their collar.

That all changed when I picked up a Festool 1400. The smooth controls, the constant speed. Talk about a confidence giving router, everything about it made it worth the price. My regret wasn’t just buying it the first time around.

Mike ,i just read this entire thread. There is a ton of very good advice here from actual woodworkers that have all owned and used the tools they mention for years. If it were me I would base my choice entirely on this advice and forget all about Amazons ratings. Basically they all work well, pick the size you need and then pick your poison (color). Good luck, Mike.

Mike, you seem to really be putting a lot of stock in "negative reviews". Where are you getting these reviews ? A quick check of Amazon's Makita review reveals 6-9 poor reviews out of 50 - so clearly there are unsatisfied customers for that make too.

Again , I wouldn't hang my hat on any of them.

""Can anyone comment on dust collection with this router or any other comments good or bad for this Makita router? Sounds like edge guide isn't the greatest. Anyone got experience it or with a better replacement? An edge guide would seem very useful for some of the things I want to do with a router."

Factory dust collection doesn't exist for this model so you'll have to cobble together something like Glenn shows from aftermarket companies. Dewalt , Bosch and PC all have integrated or optional dust shrouds for their routers. The edge guides from the three biggies are way better than the makita too. All offer wider fences and micro adjustment. If you want a good fence for the Makita , MicroFence makes and excellent one. You're gonna pay as much as you did for the router to acquire one though.

Changing bits is going to be harder or more frustrating on the Makita too. The shaft nut(s) are quite narrow and aren't going to hold the thin wrenches very well.

Do yourself a favor and forget that 1101, stick with one of the Dewalt,PC or Bosch units if decide to go the midsize 2.25HP route. There's a reason they outsell the Makita 2 to 1 or more. Go handle all three and pick which one fells best in your hand. Between Lowes and HomeDepot; you can handle all three as well as the makita and hitachi if you're lucky.

Makita also has a nice little trim router kit that should be looked at. That one does have factory dust collection accessories; though a poor fence too.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 05-21-2018 at 8:56 PM.

I have two junk routers, an old Craftsman and a J. C. Penney, and 4 "good" ones I actually use. What makes a really bad router is one that has a collet that slips and ruins wood. Both my junk ones do that. My Bosch Colt has slipped a bit before too but only when I pushed it more than I should have. I suspect other little routers with 1/4 collets will also slip if pushed. For any serious work you need a 1/2 collet. My other three good ones are two PC690s (with 4 bases) and an old Ryobi 500. Others may question a Ryobi in the good category and it did get a bit sticky (it's a plunge router) but I moved the 13.3 amp motor to the router table. Works great. It is not quite the "big router" 15A but I think it's strong enough. The PC 690s take care of the hand held work except for the lightest trimming/edge molding the Colt can handle.

If you want dust collection you might want to consider the DeWalt DW621. If I was to buy another router it might be this model just for the dust collection. I think it was Pat Warner's favorite router. Routers in general are huge mess makers but I think this one or a Festool might do OK. I doubt the others can unless you put a special base on them that looks like it would be in the way. I just make a mess and clean up.

Little Routers or laminate trimmers with 1/4" collets dont slip. Ive had lots of them. Makitas started out tight and loosened up, I burned quite a few of those out, no issues with the porter cables. The makitas may be better now dont know. Never cared about dust collection, I have a broom.

I'm a huge Triton MOF001 2 1/4hp fan - it is what is mounted in my table saw extension wing and is my most often used.
    For bench work I use the DeWalt DW621 2hp model. They are both great routers. I go here for most of my router questions - http://www.routerforums.com/forum.php