I think it's probably beyond time for me to get a router and I'm hoping to get some recommendations from those of you with lots of experience. I'm just a hobby woodworker. These are the tasks I need/want to do and I believe a router would make doing said tasks easier:
  • Rounding edges
  • Cutting channels
  • Adding nuances to picture frames

These are tasks I've done within the last year and will be doing again where I think having a router would have made them significantly easier. This will be my first router. I know that it also needs to have plunge capabilities to cut channels. I don't believe I need a router that is at the top end power wise as I don't see myself using it that hard on on things that I'd guess would require that kind of power. I'm most interested in ease of use, safety and reliability. Most of my tools are used so I don't mind going that route if it will save me money but at the same time getting quality. I suspect that the router probably isn't like my 1940s Delta woodworking machines where I can expect a 70-year old machine to work just as well as a new one.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

Thanks!
Mike