Thread: Arched Trim - top rail of bed

Blog Entries

Arched Trim - top rail of bed

Hi,

I have an idea for a project, and I was curious how it was made. I assume this shape is made with a shaper AFTER it is bent. I'm not sure how to feed it thru the router or shaper and keeping the cut consistent. The only way I could personally accomplish this so far would be to bend it in a vacuum (thin slices glued together). So I would bend first, then cut the profile.

(This profile is meaningless. Just drew it as fast as I could on Fusion. I also envision the profile on the ends, but that was beyond the Fusion work I wanted to do for a quick example)

Is there another way of doing this? Machine first and then steam bend?

cheers,

curved trim 2.png

curved trim.png

The bed in my profile picture has such a bent proile i made in 2008 (it was my 3rd woodworking projct). Yes, you first make the bent lamination and the ru it over the router table wih the edge of the curve that is on one plane running on the table.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ect&highlight=
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 02-10-2022 at 10:43 PM.

Lot of times band sawed segments are glued up like bricks and then sanded and veneered. For work that will be painted the veneer is
    sometimes omitted , and that surface gets little light.

"yes you first maketh bent lamination"

Is that Shakespeare?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    "yes you first maketh bent lamination"

Is that Shakespeare?
    More the phone tiny keyboard...

no one makes more typos than me, I run too fast and often enough fingers dont type what is in my mind. I leave words out and the meaning can be the opposite.

Im okay with the Shakespeare had it been, I'd just have to ask Mel to explain it to me.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I realized this after I posted. : )

I was thinking of standard looking router bits when I posted this... not sure why I didn't think the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post

(This profile is meaningless. Just drew it as fast as I could on Fusion. I also envision the profile on the ends, but that was beyond the Fusion work I wanted to do for a quick example)

Is there another way of doing this? Machine first and then steam bend?

cheers,

curved trim 2.png

curved trim.png
    The profile isn't meaningless. Some, like yours, can be cut after bending with the work on edge against a curved fence, guide collar or bearing. Some might have to be cut with the back face running in a cradle or with a router jigged up to balance on the edge.

It is possible to mill the profile and then steambend, although it may be harder to predict springback than with lamination. It does avoid the evident gluelines.

Beautiful work.