Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    What makes a really bad router is one that has a collet that slips and ruins wood.
    When a collet is slipping it needs to be replaced. It's not just about the project wood, but there is significantly increased risk to the operator for injury or worse. Collets are actually "delicate" things. They can be damaged by dropping them on the floor and over time, they degrade in effectiveness. Many folks don't replace them even on high-use routers and that's not a good practice. They are technically "wear items".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have 4 Routers, a PC-690 set, a PC-890 set, a Triton, and a Dewalt laminate trimmer, also with a plunge base. I find them all useful. The 890 spends most of its time in the fixed base in the router table, as by drilling two holes in your mounting plate, you can adjust it above the table. The Triton I got with the expectation of building a Paulk Workbench and using it there, but so far, the bench is not yet assembled, so it is just hanging out. The Dewalt I purchased to do sign routing with a Rockler template set, and it works great for that. Of all of them, I still like my old Porter-Cable 690, which has both a fixed, plunge, and D-handle base, which is the one I use the most for edge routing and such. Whoever said you would want two, they are right. Its very handy to have one set up with a round-over and the other set up with a spiral bit for routing grooves and dados.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Mike ,i just read this entire thread. There is a ton of very good advice here from actual woodworkers that have all owned and used the tools they mention for years. If it were me I would base my choice entirely on this advice and forget all about Amazons ratings. Basically they all work well, pick the size you need and then pick your poison (color). Good luck, Mike.
    Guys,
    The problem I have is that most of the recommendations come from folks who have had these routers for many years. I don't believe the routers available to me today are the same in quality. Reading the negative reviews it becomes fairly clear there are significant issues with both the Bosch 1617 and the Dewalt 618. Telling me I have an 75-80% chance to get one that is decent doesn't inspire confidence. But short of spending upwards of $500 for a Festool, which I will not do, I guess I have to pick one. And hope. In my book, that's pretty damn shitty and honestly not the way I want to spend my hard earned dollars. I may or may not buy one that's available during an upcoming Father's Day special.

C'est la vie.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post

Do yourself a favor and forget that 1101, stick with one of the Dewalt,PC or Bosch units if decide to go the midsize 2.25HP route. There's a reason they outsell the Makita 2 to 1 or more. Go handle all three and pick which one fells best in your hand. Between Lowes and HomeDepot; you can handle all three as well as the makita and hitachi if you're lucky.
    Dave,
    I will definitely heed the advice to handle all the routers I'm considering in the stores and keep in mind the rest of your suggestions.

Thanks all!

Mike

For what it’s worth I had a 1617 that eventually found a home in my router table. I personally (YMMV) hated using it as a plunge router for a bunch of reasons.

When I finally broke down and got the 1400 I found literally dozens of things I enjoyed doing with a plunge router confidently (as a router novice).

There are several tools in my shop that have been part of an incremental upgrade process that I would follow again given the same time/money constraints. The 1400 is probably the only tool I wish I had just bought right off the bat.

Again this is from a router novice, I’m sure once you’re proficient the tool doesn’t matter as much.

6. I really like the Milwaukee routers.
    Home Depot most likely has the best price online.
    When I bought my router this came in a kit that included the plunge base and a couple accessories.
    The link is to the least expensive option.
    The plunge base is useful to me if I need to make a freehand cut but the way I work that doesn't happen very often.
    My router pretty much lives in the router table and the fixed base never comes off the insert plate.
    The height adjustment works particularly well for that.
    Money was very important when I bought this and I have no regrets.
    Some people truly need a very powerful router, in my work I have never made a cut that I thought stressed this router.
    I mostly cut edge profiles and 1/4" dados for box making, I have cut dados in oak for a bookcase that were 1/2".
    Money is not as tight as it used to be so if buying now I might get the 2 1/4hp EVS kit, that would allow me to use the large raised panel bits that have sat unused for 10 years.
    Good luck with which ever one you choose.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...5-20/202947891

Mike,I am sorry if my post came across the wrong way. I was merely trying to point you to advice from actual users. I have glanced at Amazon reviews and even others on other websites enough that I notice people give reviews two days after receiving stuff. Myself I would way rather base decisions on advice from more reliable sources. I personally have mostly Porter Cable routers,7539,2-3, 690s and a Dewalt trim router. I have also owned a couple Makitas. They all work well. It is more of a personal thing like Ford-Chev or sometimes the work required favors certain routers more than others. Pick one of the kits in the 2,2.5h.p. range with several bases and work from there. I would recommend buying a machine with half inch collet. most of the kits have both 1/2 and 1/4 (I think). Another option may be to try out some of the routers you are interested in before you buy to help narrow it down. Mike.

I worked at a place 30 plus years ago that had a milwaukee router. Red and rectangular handles it was an excellent router. Just something quality about it, not as big and heavy as my Porter cables but good enough for the work we did. You reminded me of that router not sure they have anything the same now.

I didnt look long enough at the Milwaukee you posted and thought it had round handles do see now looking better they are oblong which gives you more control than round handles do especially when you get into heavier routing. See they also have a D handle then something new where there is a handle built into the body of the router, id have to try that in the store to see the feel.

these are the type of handles I dont want in a router, the wood would be nice but round I dont like for heavier work.

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Mike,I am sorry if my post came across the wrong way. I was merely trying to point you to advice from actual users. I have glanced at Amazon reviews and even others on other websites enough that I notice people give reviews two days after receiving stuff. Myself I would way rather base decisions on advice from more reliable sources. I personally have mostly Porter Cable routers,7539,2-3, 690s and a Dewalt trim router. I have also owned a couple Makitas. They all work well. It is more of a personal thing like Ford-Chev or sometimes the work required favors certain routers more than others. Pick one of the kits in the 2,2.5h.p. range with several bases and work from there. I would recommend buying a machine with half inch collet. most of the kits have both 1/2 and 1/4 (I think). Another option may be to try out some of the routers you are interested in before you buy to help narrow it down. Mike.
    Mike,
    You absolutely didn't come off in any wrong way. I will not get a router that doesn't have a 1/2" collet. At some point, I'll just have to go with the advice I've received here and my own perceptions after checking them out then just bite the bullet and hope that after a couple of light uses and a year of no use that they still work.

Mike

hi:

I am getting to be quite knowledgeable about what not to do.. My first router experience is illustrative. I got it in late 2008 when the U.S. crash sent a lot of tools intended tor US distribution to Canada - about $229 (Canabucks, 0.75 USD) for a pair of Rigid routers in a box with several bits etc. Looked good, 1/2" collets, great reviews.. however: first it turns out that standard accessories fit Dewalt and Porter Cable for sure and some others depending on the accessory. Want a different base to cut dovetails with my rigid? too bad. Second, the bigger unit is a workhorse, the smaller one flamed out before I'd figured out how to use it - and the plunge sleeve for the bigger one jammed on so badly that I had to cut it off to rescue the router itself. So now I have a dewalt (and a 3HP shaper)...

Something about the fixed base/plunge kits that no one has mentioned. I had a 690 with both bases. The fixed base and motor were great, the plunge base was well, suboptimal. Too hard to plunge and tended to stick. Lubrication didn't help. One could make the argument that the current Porter Cable 89x routers are not an improvement over the 69x but IMO the 89X plunge base is WAY better than the 690 plunge base IMO.

Blog Entries
    I say for a first router, go to the BORG, pick some up, see what interests you, an get it. You can overthink it.

Later on, when you know what you want, do some serious shopping and get what you want.

Oh by the way, your router bits will add up the cost.

Guys,
    I still hadn't pulled the trigger on getting a router as I've not seen any decent sales. So when I saw this very good condition Porter-Cable 6902 today locally on CL at the right price I picked it up. I figure I can start learning how to use it while I keep my eye open for the right router combo for me. It didn't come with anything beyond the 1/2" collet in place. I had some credit with Amazon so the 1/4" collet and the collet wrench 2-pk is already on order. I bought the router and a like new 23-gauge PC pin nailer for $35. The guy threw in an old vintage hand-turned bench grinder for free. Cost: $35. The 1/4" collet and wrenches were less than $8 after my credits. Can't wait to give it a try! I'm gonna build a top for my planer mobile base and want to round the edges and corners with the router.

IMG_7096.jpgIMG_7097.jpg

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 07-14-2018 at 5:13 PM.

Curt,

I think you got a GREAT deal. I have two PC690s. I've had them for more than a decade. The switch failed on one and the speed control on the other but considering the work they've done I do not think that is a surprise. Both still work. I have no problem with the plunge base and also have two fixed bases and a D handle. I've used the in a router table but they are a little small for that. But if you make an additional pass, I've used big panel raising bits successfully (with the speed turned down). They are work horse routers. Not everybody likes the "twist the motor" depth control but I like it. It's easy to fine adjust. Yours has the older type depth lock nut. One of mine has that. The switch may thus not be well protected against dust - that was the case with mine. But it worked fine for years.

Most of us end up with multiple routers but I think you will want to hold onto this one regardless. I would not argue it is the best router out there but it is a good, useful router. Easily worth several times $35.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Curt,

I think you got a GREAT deal. I have two PC690s. I've had them for more than a decade. The switch failed on one and the speed control on the other but considering the work they've done I do not think that is a surprise. Both still work. I have no problem with the plunge base and also have two fixed bases and a D handle. I've used the in a router table but they are a little small for that. But if you make an additional pass, I've used big panel raising bits successfully (with the speed turned down). They are work horse routers. Not everybody likes the "twist the motor" depth control but I like it. It's easy to fine adjust. Yours has the older type depth lock nut. One of mine has that. The switch may thus not be well protected against dust - that was the case with mine. But it worked fine for years.

Most of us end up with multiple routers but I think you will want to hold onto this one regardless. I would not argue it is the best router out there but it is a good, useful router. Easily worth several times $35.

Jim
    Thanks Jim!