Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone recommend a good Shop Vac hose?

Can someone recommend a good Shop Vac hose?

I bought a 20 foot hose at Woodcraft for my Shop Vac and it's junk. Any deformation is permanent and when I hook up various tools to it the hose shortens up and those deformations close up restricting air flow.

The dust right hoses from Rockler look pretty good but I got their small port hose and that thing weighs a ton. I have to set my sander on the floor or the hose will pull it off of the bench.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

The Rockler shop vac hose is, for me, very good. Not perfect, but it's sturdy while still being somewhat manueverable. I don't know how it would work with the Shop Vac brand of vacs, as far as the ports fitting. Mine runs direct out of a Dust Deputy, which is stationary.

I know what you mean about Rockler's small port hoses. What I did to help was to drop a rope down from the ceiling, with a loop in the end of it to support the shop vac hose above my bench. That helps to fight the gravity that wants to drag your tool to the floor. Also cut the small hose to shorten it and keep it out of the way. YMMV.

On my "regular" shop vac, I have a longer orange colored hose that's flexible and sturdy. I suspect I bought it from Home Depot and that it carried a Ridgid brand name on it. But I bought it a long time ago!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Are you just looking for a hose for general cleanup or for small tools like sanders?

I have 4 small hoses in my shop:

A Rigid hose that came with my Rigid Shop Vac ~ 10 years ago
    A Dust Right Universal Small Port Hose Kit
    A Festool 27mm Hose that came with my CT36 (before they switched to the fancy new braided hoses)
    A Bosh VAC005 Hose

I hate the dust right hose, it collapses along its length forcing you to fight the hose constantly or accept that you have a 3' long hose... The connectors however are really nice... Sadly they only work with the dust right hose...

The Festool Hose is nice, no complaints, it just somehow frequently finds itself trapped under systainers, its also way to expensive imo

I really like the Bosch VAC005 hose for my sanders. Its 16.4' long and has a great nozzle for all of my handheld machines. I actually find myself using it more these days than my festool hose. Oh and it's only $40 on amazon...

The Rigid hose is nothing special but it fits the dust port on my router table as well as all of my 2.5" tools. Other than its bulk and being difficult to adapt it to my smaller tools I have no complaints.

Blog Entries
    I also dislike the trendy "stretches to X-times its length" vac hoses. I need a hose to support itself, stay relaxed under suction and not be oddly heavy. I have about 35 feet of steel helix, clear, PVC 2-1/2" diameter hose that came of a 50 foot length. I believe I bought it from Peachtree. I have been dragging it around the shop for about 10 years and its still fine. I have a 10 foot whip for my small powered hand tools that reduces to 1-1/4" at the connecting point to the 2-1/2" hose. It is lightweight and holds its shape. I believe it came with aRidgid badge but, you can find such things at vac supply houses.

Dust-Deputy-003.JPG . 1295-and-1297.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think that Bosch VAC005 hose is a really good value for an all around hose. Doesn't excell at sanding all day and I wouldn't want to clean up with it all day either. But its a great SUV of a hose at around $40-50.

I think the new Festool braided hoses are really nice. Lightweight and very flexible but with a price to match at $125 up. You can keep the rest.

Does anyone else winceat the prices on good vacuum hoses?

You must support the Rockler small port hose from above or it is too heavy. I have the hose support and that works wonders. Until I got that support I fought with the hose constantly..
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Seems like I am not alone in fighting the Rockler hose. It's a pain.

I like my current setup if I had a good hose. I have a 10-15' 2.5" connected to the vac (through a dust deputy) which I use for general clean up. If I want to hook it to any tools that arent 2.5" I use a reducer and connect either a 1.25" Ridgid hose or the Rockler small port hose. This allows me to keep the same thing hooked up and hanging on my shop vac cart and then I just change out the ends. The problem is that 2.5" hose is terrible. Loses it's shape, shortens up, loses suction, etc. I'll take a look at some of the hoses in this thread. Thanks, everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Does anyone else winceat the prices on good vacuum hoses?
    They are one of those things that seem to have a wide price swing. Good ones are definitely better than poor ones in use. Hoses also seem to be one of those things where there are high priced poor ones. The gripes about the heavy Rockler hoses are well founded. I have tried a glossy "professional" hose that was similar in weight and "battle tactics"; waste of money for me.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-17-2018 at 7:04 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm completely satisfied with home depot's Rigid pro-grade vacuum hose. For the price you can't beat it. I think it's $37 for a 10' hose. You can stand on it and it doesn't crush but it still lightweight and it doesn't noticeably shrink when pulling a vacuum on it.

I ordered the Bosch hose. Should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it does the trick.

For others looking for hoses, someone turned me onto this site (catering to car washes, etc) I have not tried them, but look like a variety of quality hoses.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/c-164...uum-hoses.aspx

Hope this helps.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    I ordered the Bosch hose.
    I have the Bosch hose, and use it and like it quite a bit.

Here's a suggestion: sometimes the supplied rubber tip doesn't quite fit the opening on the tool (like on my Delta CMS). If you remove the rubber swivel adapter on the end of the hose, that gives a slightly different diameter ending. This diameter fits my saw much better than the swivel adapter, and for a stationary tool like a miter saw, I don't miss the ability to rotate the end.

I went to one of those car washing supply places and purchase my hoses,if you ever use a vac at the car wash then you know they will last.Not expensive at all