Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with a Morton's Neuroma?

Anyone with a Morton's Neuroma?

Not asking for medical advice, just info regarding experiences with treatment. I've had a Morton's neuroma of each foot for years, with the right worse than the left. The right one has reached the point that I have changed the way I walk and I've developed plantar fasciitis as a result. So, my questions are:

1) Have you had treatment for a MN? If so, what treatment?
    2) If you had surgery for a MN how painful was it? What was your recovery experience?
    3) Am I facing a future in orthopedic shoes? I love my heels!!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    3) Am I facing a future in orthopedic shoes? I love my heels!!
    you will have to switch to orthopedic shoes soon in your future anyways

just kidding
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

sorry, couldnt resist :P
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Sad thing is, you're right Curtis! In addition to being out of heels, the doc says I can't go barefoot either.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

good luck with your foot problems,

With the problem I have wearing sensible shoes, I am amazed women can get aware wearing those instruments of torture.

Sensible shoes with upgraded insoles. No heel is worth the pain or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    With the problem I have wearing sensible shoes, I am amazed women can get aware wearing those instruments of torture.

Sensible shoes with upgraded insoles. No heel is worth the pain or surgery.
    I've been wearing sensible shoes for several years now. The damage was done by that time though. I went to my local Smart Feet yesterday and talked to them about orthotics, etc. They want to wait for my doctor visit before we proceed with anything. Base orthotics $105 - ouch, but not as ouchy as the foot.

Bella Terra

Yes M'am I've got them, both feet. Doc told me same as he told you 'cept I don't wear heels. I've found some relief using a product from Spenco. You could e-mail them and ask for some advice. Last pair I bought cost $35 at a sports store. I've also ordered them online for about the same price. The model I use is the Polysorb Total Support.

Before I went to the doctor I would get pain at the end of the day, after sitting down, that would shoot up to my knees and some days would hurt so much I felt like crying. Doc said surgery would be the last option because it's not always a success and may even leave you with a numb feeling in your feet. He likened Mortons Neuromas to carpal tunnel of the feet.

I would be cautious of the Good Feet people heard of people that spent upwards of $200 and had no relief at all.

Good Luck
    Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I have different foot problems but I also wear Spenco insoles and find them delightful. I got mine on Amazon.

Belinda, I don’t know anything about Morton's neuroma but I had a serious bout with plantar fasciitis last year that lasted several months. It was very painful – it felt like I had a 16 penny nail pounded in my right heel 24/7. I did all of the stretch exercises, massages, orthotics, etc. to no avail. I finally ended up getting 3 cortisone treatments that did the trick. I never want to go through that again.
    I feel for you!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Doc said surgery would be the last option because it's not always a success and may even leave you with a numb feeling in your feet. He likened Mortons Neuromas to carpal tunnel of the feet.

Good Luck
    Jerry
    I'll check out Spenco. I haven't had any feeling in my second and third toes for years. I have to monitor my toes because when I run (which I can't do right now) I tend to get blisters on the tip of the second toe and I never feel them. Your doc's comparison to carpal tunnel is a good one. Same sort of nerve entrapment I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Belinda, I don’t know anything about Morton's neuroma but I had a serious bout with plantar fasciitis last year that lasted several months. It was very painful – it felt like I had a 16 penny nail pounded in my right heel 24/7. I did all of the stretch exercises, massages, orthotics, etc. to no avail. I finally ended up getting 3 cortisone treatments that did the trick. I never want to go through that again.
    I feel for you!
    Bruce, you know what it feels like when you hit your funny bone? With the Morton's neuroma that's about what my foot feels like with every step, not quite as severe but a sort of ZZZZT electrical zap. Sometimes it's more painful but I get the zap with every step. The plantar fasciitis is just really annoying throughout the day at this point but it does hurt like heck when my feet hit the ground first thing in the morning. Waiting for my appointment to be scheduled with the orthopedist. Dang insurance, had to see my primary care doctor so she could refer me to someone who can actually help.

Bella Terra

Belinda is this condition caused by a wart on the bottom of your foot ? this sound like if something are pressing on a nerve, if the pain are in toes do you walk on your heel ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    Belinda is this condition caused by a wart on the bottom of your foot ? this sound like if something are pressing on a nerve, if the pain are in toes do you walk on your heel ?
    Ray, not a wart. The nerve between the toes gets injured and then becomes enlarged and painful. This gets progressively worse with time if not treated, and sometimes even if treated. Any pressure on the ball of the foot stimulates the nerve. Because of this I started walking differently without realizing it. This stressed the support system running from the front of the foot to the heel and that is causing heel pain.

Bella Terra

My SO had foot issues like that, including the Planter thing.
    After much $$$ spent on Doctors, without any relief, and as a last resort,
    she saw a thing that you hook up to your body with leads and it puts a small current in different patterns into the area of the leads. Actually got it at a booth at an ARA show in Vegas, go figure.
    Hers has 6 leads for 3 spots and a bunch of patterns, timers and levels of treatment on it. I can look for more information if needed, but I have seen different machines advertised.
    After about year she has no pain, walks just fine, and does not use the machine more that 1 or 2 times a month anymore.

Paul, this sounds like a TENS unit. Yes please, if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like information on the machine she has. Thanks!!!

Bella Terra