Thread: ornament stand supplier source????

ornament stand supplier source????

I have turned some birdhouse ornaments. I ordered some ornament stands two different times from Bronners.com and both time I ordered different stands. Both times the stands needed to be bent or corrected as the arch or curve of the wire stand was not in center line with the base. the ornament when hung on it would look like it was leaning to the left or right. When straightening or correcting the stands the "brass plating" would crack or flake off. Bronners replaced them but the new replacement ones still had the same problem.

Where do you guys get your ornament stands? (and where should I avoid buying stands from?) Looking for something inn the 8"-10" high range.

Thanks
    Ricc Havens

Make your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Where do you guys get your ornament stands? (and where should I avoid buying stands from?) Looking for something inn the 8"-10" high range.
    I've always make ornament stands. Here's one, I also have some that hold three ornaments and some that hold just one ornament.

acrylic_ornaments_A_comp.jpg
    (experimenting with turning acrylic here)

My friend Jake came up with the simple way to support the ornaments. He bought a wire kitchen whisk from Walmart for almost nothing, cut the wires off and cut them in half, bent them to shape as desired, and bent hooks on the ends to hold the ornaments. He turns a little off-axis base for his. I'm lazy so I just cut off the edge of a piece of scrap burl, sand the bottom and back flat, and drill a hole or three for a press fit for the wire(s). Simple, quick, and cost just pennies.

JKJ

Thanks foe the ideas John. I should have added that I'm getting ready for an art fair in two weeks. trying to get a lot of stuff done and didn't want to have to "make" stands. I have one I tried a while back from the kitchen whisk like you mentioned but the whisk wires when cut apart at the factory weld are a little shorter than I need.

Your stands look great! but I haven't had much luck bending brass wire for the hoop. When I try to do that my curves don't look as fluid and smooth like your's do.

Thanks!
    Ricc

Instead of trying to bend it freehand make a jig. Cut a disk the diameter of the loop you want to make out of 1" thick hard wood. Drill a hole the diameter of your rod to make a snug fit 1/2 to 1 inch deep in the side of the disk. Insert the rod into the hole and bend it around the disk until you have the desired curve. Use a pair of needle nose to make the little hook at the end.

A member of the club here made an ingenious jig out of wood and bends really heavy ga copper electrical wire for his stands. Not sure where he gets the heavy wire. Looks to be 3/32 in diameter. The copper shines up nice and looks good with some but not all woods. I suppose brass wire could do the same.

I use brass brazing rods from a welder supplier, they are bent using a jig with circle and dowel on a board. The circle is about 3.5" and is the top loop. The dowel is 3/4 and around it is bent the hook. Trying to freehand them will get you fat spots on the curve and hook and you will waste time and make some trash. I think the rods are 3/32", but they are 36 inches long. You will have some leftovers, make a brass Christmas tree with a tapered dowel and drill some holes to stick in the shorter pieces, you need a small hook on the ends to hang the ornaments on.

It is best to draw out your design on a scrap of plywood, then place the circle and dowel on it. A clamp to hold one end and then start bending.

Take a picture of your jigs, so we all can benefit from your experience. Thank you.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I use a wire bending jig like this to get perfect round bends every time https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...der-28011.aspx