Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving right along with my workshop

Blog Entries

Moving right along with my workshop

Not too much later than this time last year I launched plans for a workshop to free up space in my 2car (that's pronounced "1 1/2 car") garage.
    I have great news to report....I have a penciled in slab pour next week.

I can't believe things are moving along so quickly.

Look forward to seeing your build, Bill. Be sure to post pictures so we can follow along. Thanks for sharing!
    Jeff

Congrats Bill.

Blog Entries
    Thanks.
    It's hard to transmit sarcasm via text.
    If there are ways to screw up getting a slab poured and a shed delivered I think I have found them all.
    Perhaps I'll write a book about the subject.
    No, I lack those skills as well.

Blog Entries
    I've mentioned elsewhere that I have a drainage problem beside my garage.
    The contractor ( who tells me he can start on the slab tomorrow.
    My question is, the shop will be farther back that will be tucked a couple of feet behind the garage due to a 5' side setback.
    Is there any reason why I can't place a pvc or drainage pipe under the top of the slab, angled toward the back and attach the downspout on that corner of the garage to it?

Blog Entries
    They are going to pour a 4" slab with a 12" footer. 11x20

Blog Entries
    Nevermind. I'm going another way.

And that was 12x20. Not 11x20.

Blog Entries
    Folks, I can't believe after perhaps a year, my slab gets poured this afternoon.
    This thing has been dragging along so slow, what with all the excavation and concrete crews unable to keep up with new constructon in the area, I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen.
    Then my Amish garage boss, who plans to take a look at it to decide how best to go about setting it in place, says he'll be here Friday. The garage is over a hundred miles away.
    And with extended pipe for both downspouts and covering the whole thing with plastic, they had a dry work area in spite of some heavy rainfall lately.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 05-22-2018 at 4:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    The slab's poured, the concrete will soon be ready to support my portable shop sitting 110 miles away.
    Today one of the owners of the shed company came by to make sure everything was ready to go.
    He takes some measurements, we chat for a while, then he leaves.
    Less than 10 minutes later he comes back and proceeds to tell me how, in his opinion, the shop will not fit between the garage and fence.
    When you're hot, you're hot.
    I'm on a roll, man!!

So far I'm in for over $2800 on the shed and another $2200 for the slab. ,
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 05-26-2018 at 4:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    ...Less than 10 minutes later he comes back and proceeds to tell me how, in his opinion, the shop will not fit between the garage and fence.
    Most fences can be taken down and put back up or rebuilt. Some people even work a deal with a neighbor to move something across their property, if that would be easier. But if out of options maybe sell the shed - for that money you can built a lot of a small structure like that if you shop carefully for materials and do the work yourself.

JKJ

Temporarily remove the fence to provide more clearance...you wouldn't want your garage to get damaged and providing a little more wiggle room is a good way to help with that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hope we are all around to see the finished job.

Hang in there. It's worth the wait.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I'm looking at all options.
    Taking down the fence would require either pulling the 4x4 posts that are buried in concrete, or cutting them off, leaving enough sticking up to secure a replacement
    to the side of the old one. I built it using 3 2x4 cross sections which would also require being cut, or if I'm lucky, simply removed by the screws that secure them. I don't have a problem doing that but the corner post, a 4x6 will need additional support after cutting it off, and when i pulled the metal post of a chainlink fence that was here when we bought the place, a huge hole made it nessecary to use a lot af additional concrete to set it. I couldn't bury another any where near the same spot without digging up and removing all that concrete. It supports a 4.5x6 gate, also made with 2x4s.
    I'm also looking at the posibility of having a structure built onsite. I lack the skills/experience to build it myself, though I'd love to give it a try. But the wife responded with a firm "no" to that idea. She cannot cope with the mess and, obviously, length of time for me to pull together a project like that. Very impatient with such things. It would be very easy for me to become discouraged in that senerio.
    But that's a whole 'nother subject.
    Another problem would be getting another extension to the permit, one the city so graciously extended when winter set in before I could get someone to pour a slab last fall. Technically they expire in 6 months without a refund.

I must admit that I am becoming discouraged with the whole thing. Anthing and everything has thrown itself before me in an attempt to prevent my moving forward.
    I am well aware of Who is in control of this project, but He isn't thus far revealing much beyond each day what exactly His will is.
    Perhaps there is a much better plan for my shop. All I can do is wait....and thoroughly search out what options are before me.

Anyway I look at it I'm facing a much higher cost for a shop. I've checked out big box kits, but I understand they come with poor quality materials.
    To add to my frustration the sales rep took a close look at the location last fall, believing that the structure would pass through the opening without any problem. They simply say that they need at least a foot of total clearance for their buildings. According to what I was told you simply take the width of the shed you are buying and add one foot. It's a 12x, so she said the 13'7" would suffice. She failed to mention that this particular building has a 6" overhang on each side. The models they had on display were smaller with just enough roofline to span the walls.
    I thought with all this data I was good to go.
    I simply doesn't fly.

Sorry you're feeling discouraged Bill. I am confused.

Is this fence taller than the eaves of the building? If not, why would the offending eave not just fit over the fence? If you were happy with the sample building with short eaves, could they not be trimmed? Your first idea of removing part of the fence sounds reasonable also.

There has to be a way to work this out. Like I said, hang in there.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Why not just have them cut the overhang?