Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gustav Stickley No. 90 Revolving Book Rack

Question Gustav Stickley No. 90 Revolving Book Rack

I am searching for any information on the original design of the revolving base for this small bookstand. I have photo of the finished piece but no view of the base.

The base appears to be a disc with some type of an arbor, or lazy susan, mechanism.
    I used to have access to some of David Rago's inventory. Unfortunately it would be hit or miss if I could see an actual one anytime in the near future.

How much detail do you need? There is a person online that sells copies made from an original. they might give you some info. here is the link to their site.

https://picclick.com/Stickley-Style-...118662286.html
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Can you post the photo? I checked all of my Arts & Craft books and plans and I didn't find a revolving book Rack. May help If I knew what I was looking for.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    The base appears to be a disc with some type of an arbor, or lazy susan, mechanism.
    I used to have access to some of David Rago's inventory. Unfortunately it would be hit or miss if I could see an actual one anytime in the near future.

How much detail do you need? There is a person online that sells copies made from an original. they might give you some info. here is the link to their site.

https://picclick.com/Stickley-Style-...118662286.html
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the base of the revolver is a disc about 10" dia. and there is some sort of pin in the center. I'm trying to determine if the upper unit just sits and revolves around the pin or if there is some kind of additional support/pivot mechanism. Thus far none of the web photos I've seen show that detail.

Mike's response above lists a link to some top photos. There's a little historical detail in this article which discusses a very similar inspiration piece and also shows the only known catalog photo I have found of the original. https://360woodworking.com/stickleys...ing-book-rack/ I've also read that this piece was an apprentice exam item but I don't have any verification of that info.

Ernie

I have to think the it was more than just a central pin, or the weight of unbalanced books would have very shortly damaged the piece. I'm still leaning towards a lazy Susan style mechanism. If I was going to make a repro' for myself, that is what I would use.
    It kind of makes sense that it was an exercise piece. Stickley, Gustav, was not fond of adding metal elements to his work. The brothers were not so purist in their philosophies. The date of manufacture would hold a clue to the possible support structure. As they fell into, and out of, collaboration with each other, the construction of furniture changed with these new brotherly "alignments"
    I don't show this in any of the Stickley books I have. It is an interesting piece.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike,
    I've pretty well decided to do the Lazy Susan thing also. I'll probably be using an 80 lb rated 8" dia, x .6 thick computer platform mortised 1/4" into both the base plate and the upper unit bottom assembly; but I am curious as to the original design. I'm not really very knowledgeable of the A & C period designs but this piece caught my eye; and I have a relative who needs it, they just don't know it yet. There's few small pieces of left over mahogany lying around here and it shouldn't be a big undertaking to fashion one of these. Joinery wise it's about like making a single drawer with the misdirected sides attached to the base with small Miller dowels and glue. The center intersection design has a couple of options but I'm leaning towards a halved joint there.
    Ernie

I had a bit of a search, too. Not much success. I thought about the lazy Susan hardware typically available. It would work but I wonder if it might be a little on the thick side. I'm never real thrilled with the sound they make although maybe that's not so much of a problem. The Jefferson revolving bookstand pivoted on a center post that is rounded over on top. There's an oiled wooden washer between the box and the base to keep the box from tipping and binding. I suppose you could do something similar. You could use you could use a ring of oiled leather like so, or if you aren't against using more modern materials, Delrin or some other slickery material.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 05-16-2018 at 6:11 PM.

There is one made by a wood worker in South Carolina for sale on Ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/123118662286?rmvSB=true

Maybe he can help. He claims to have purchased an original Stickley revolving book rack and used that as the basis for the one he made.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-17-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Dave,
    I think there are a number of authentic methods that could be used if one is willing to have it as a two piece design. I suspect that the original was in fact two pieces but cannot say that for sure without more info. If it was actually a well working non metallic device of only one piece that design would be interesting to know. It seems that being able to move the entire object just using the top handle would make it a more convenient for things like dusting a table top; therefore I'm going to go for a one piece model. Not really looking to make a true reproduction, just want a well working piece that looks like the original Stickley design.

Understood. I'll be interested in seeing your finished project.

I didn't take the time to show attaching the base to the bottom so it can be lifted as a single unit. Sorry that was misleading.

I finally got around to making one of these; actually I made two. One is mahoghany and made pretty much to Stickley's design. The other was from some thin stock figured maple I had. The maple size were limited to a 10 1/2" max dimension so I needed to alter several dimensions and the handle configuration to make it useable.
    20180630_131009.jpg20180615_101134.jpg

My photos are not very good. This one shows a little better detail on the mahoghany piece.
    20180630_123925.jpg

Wow, those came out very nice!!

I know that the Mahogany piece is probably "the keeper", but I really like the one you did in maple. Altering the dimensions to fit the material you had, really made something unique.

So which mechanism did you use for the platter?

Once again, well done and thank you for posting them