Thread: 14" vs 16" Band Saw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

14" vs 16" Band Saw

I use my band saw predominately for processing my turning blanks. I have an older 14" Delta and want to upgrade in order to have a machine with more power, a better guide system, and a better tension setting mechanism. Grizzly has a 14" with greater resaw capacity than their 17" saws (14" vs 12"). Although I seldom resaw, the greater capacity may be useful when prepping my blanks. So the 17" has a greater cutting capacity, but a lower resaw capacity. Are their reasons I should opt for the 17" over the 14"? Thanks.

I went from a delta clone 14 to a grizzly 17 anv. model and have no regrets at all, well maybe that I did not spend the extra and bought the metal cutting version, but that was quite a jump.

Larger wheels let you run wider and thicker blades with less metal fatigue. They also have more inertia for powering through cuts.

Good points Bob; thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    I use my band saw predominately for processing my turning blanks. I have an older 14" Delta and want to upgrade in order to have a machine with more power, a better guide system, and a better tension setting mechanism. Grizzly has a 14" with greater resaw capacity than their 17" saws (14" vs 12"). Although I seldom resaw, the greater capacity may be useful when prepping my blanks. So the 17" has a greater cutting capacity, but a lower resaw capacity. Are their reasons I should opt for the 17" over the 14"? Thanks.
    If turning either green or dry wood I would find the extra height useful. I have a 12" height on both a Delta with riser block and an 18" Rikon. I don't resaw often but I do process a lot of green wood into blanks, mostly to dry for turning. Many times an extra inch or so would have made things easier. I don't know about Grizzly but if they put better features on the bigger saw, say better dust collection, that might be a consideration.

This the kind of use mine sees a lot either with the log on it's side

processing_B01.jpg

or standing on end like this piece of sassafras:

processing_wood_.jpg processing_wood_2.jpg processing_wood_3.jpg

JKJ

Thanks for the feedback John.

I sold a Delta 14" with riser block and bought a used 16" minimax. The extra horse power really cuts through the larger green logs. I cut a lot of wood into stock like John does and it really speeds up the process. It's also really wonderful when cutting hollow vessel blanks. I used to reallly fight those on my delta but this just purrs along. It was a lot more money though.

John:
    Due you find the 12" height on your Minimax to be adequate? Thanks.

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.
    I have a Delta 14 with a riser that I installed. Didn't like the factory motor because it would bog down easily. Had seen bigger motors at Tractor Supply, bought one then had to make another trip to get a drive pulley. Took a little creativity on my part but now have a bandsaw that cuts any piece of wood I put in there. I went from 3/4 to 1.5 hp.
    Since then I've also acquired an old Craftsman 18 inch-all iron- that had been refurbished.
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.

I have a Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw with the riser block. It works fine for what I've done so far but I'm looking to upgrade. I'm not sure where you are located but I have seen a number of used saws sell for well under $1000 that would be a much better option than Grizzly (I have nothing against them, I have a Grizzly lathe on back order right now). I just haven't found one close enough yet. This Jet 24" sold recently for $800 in PA. They are usually 3 phase but that's not a deal breaker.

There's a nice Launa 24" in Virginia that could sell for about the same but is still too far away for me.

I figure one of these would most likely be all the saw I would ever need.