Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three phase power primer

I am doing the start/ stop stations all around my shed

I have a Phase Technologies PT355 in my shop. I originally had one of the rotary units, and ended up getting the digital one.

Somethings to consider, depending on the equipment, i.e. my Martin slider / Felder Shaper both required me to have the digital unit. The power from the rotary was not stable enough compared to the digital unit, and there are other stories of people having to replace a rotary with the digital unit to get cleaner power.

Regarding the noise, the whine of the motor was annoying, the buzz of the PT unit is equal or worse...

I have had absolutely no issues with my PP model and would recommend it highly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One easy way to tell if three phase is nearby...a pole with three transformers ringed around it with drops from each of the high-voltage lines to individual transformers. Rare in residential areas, however.
    You can get 208v service from two transformers, one is double tapped.

Also for the whole sensitive electronics part, just make sure you keep the generated leg off the control circuit and there shouldn't be any issues. Those machines will have a transformer in them fed from two of the legs that run the controls and the electronics.
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 05-19-2018 at 6:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One easy way to tell if three phase is nearby...a pole with three transformers ringed around it with drops from each of the high-voltage lines to individual transformers. Rare in residential areas, however.
    Easier yet, just look at the top of the power poles, two cross arm wires=single phase, three wires = three phase. Yep, not likely to see it in residential neighborhoods. I used to design lake augmentation wells and preferred three phase for the submersible 10-50 hp motors, so I would cruise the lake perimeter looking for three wire cross arms as one input into locating the wells. We got lucky in a few neighborhoods. Only had one area we needed to put in a phase converter.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-19-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

No mention of the Phase Perfect units? I thought this was a better, albeit more expensive solution.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I dont know what you guys have for Roto Phases but my general drill press makes more noise than the Roto. I have three phase 25 feet from my window. Old guy always said buy a shop wth three phase on the pole. He had it put in and when he retired always paid for the extra service he wasnt using, he also didnt realize that they charge more for three phase power. Its still ideal to have it but things in the story were left out, a friend that has a tool and die shop in his home ran three phase to the home and made a room to step down the power for the house. Told he could not do it they quickly realized he knew stuff, it was a while back they said he did a good job when they inspected it. His other motivation was his home was 750 feet back from the road so alot cheaper to run a smaller wire size than what he would have had for 220.