Thread: Input sought on planer purchase - Dewalt 735 or upgrade?

Input sought on planer purchase - Dewalt 735 or upgrade?

I've been eyeing the Dewalt 735 planer for quite some time -- it seems to get fantastic reviews and is a quite a workhorse for many people it appears. I see it consistently comes in around $600 or so at most retailers.

A planer is the next significant addition I hope to make to my shop. I *may* be able to justify spending slightly more on this tool though and as always, I want to get the best quality tool possible with my budget.

Over the last year, I have had several walnut trees from my property milled into lumber...it is all stickered and drying in my garage and basement currently. Some of these planks are more than 12" wide...though I don't currently have any specific projects in mind that will require the boards to remain particularly wide. But...going back to the quality issue...I'd like to get the best quality planer I can in my budget.

But now I've been looking longingly at a few other larger planers...and I'm wondering if there is a favorite among woodworkers in the $700-1100 range or so?
    Last edited by Jay Michaels; 05-15-2018 at 12:09 PM.

In that price range, your best bet is to get the Dewalt 735 and upgrade it with the Shelix helical head, this would be around $1000 total. The 735 is a great planer, but the knives and need to be replaced often. The Shelix head turns this great planer into a fantastic planer. I don't think you'll regret purchasing this combo.

Oh and adding the Shelix head is not hard at all.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-15-2018 at 9:08 PM.

I'd take a used 15" four post import planer (Delta, JET, Grizzly, Shopfox, etc.) for the same money any day of the week over the DeWalt.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I'd take a used 15" four post import planer (Delta, JET, Grizzly, Shopfox, etc.) for the same money any day of the week over the DeWalt.
    I have to agree.
    The DeWalt is a nice machine, but the difference between a 15", 3HP, 500lb.+ planer, and the Dewalt, is night and day.
    If you have the room for a 15" planer, I would look to go the used route.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Ugh, just when I thought I could stay within my budget, this pops up.

'https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/d/powermatic-model-15-planer/6580036669.htm

I'd be curious to get others' thoughts on this deal.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-15-2018 at 9:09 PM. Reason: removed direct link per TOS

It's nice, but it is essentially the same machine as my Jet 15" planer. Which would be 1/2 that price used. Both were/are sold by WMH. The Powermatics were supposed to have a better fit and finish that the Jet.
    I'm sorry, but for $1500.00 it should have at least had the cast iron extension tables, not the rollers. Setting up those rollers can be a tedious process. I do like that mobil cart though.
    Just my opinion.

You might consider this one;
    'https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/d/planer-15-inch/6575942323.html

Because it is the head that moves up and down ,and not the bed, as do the Powermatic and my Jet, an infeed, outfeed, table setup can be made as a stationary platform. Kinda nice actually for long lumber.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-15-2018 at 9:10 PM. Reason: removed direct link per TOS
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Michaels View Post
    Ugh, just when I thought I could stay within my budget, this pops up.

'https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/d/powermatic-model-15-planer/6580036669.html

I'd be curious to get others' thoughts on this deal.
    I recently sold the Jet version of that planer used on Craigslist for $750 or thereabouts. I loved the planer-- in fact, still have the same planer with the Grizzly badge on it (which is why I sold the Jet). I would agree with the other prior comments that these 4 post machines are much more enjoyable to use than the Dewalt 735 planers if you have the space.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-15-2018 at 9:10 PM.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

The dewalt is fine.
    The 4 post planers are way better.
    I had both. You will outgrow either. You can get industrial planers so cheap if you’re patient.

Good advise already on the planer.

Off-topic,,,that walnut that's drying...it really needs to be outside where the air can flow through it. The air movement wicks off the moisture.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all for the input - I really appreciate it. I didn't realize the Powermatic / Jet / Grizzly were essentially all the same machine. A lot to ponder...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Good advise already on the planer.

Off-topic,,,that walnut that's drying...it really needs to be outside where the air can flow through it. The air movement wicks off the moisture.
    The batch in the basement is already down to ~10-12% -- I'm just giving it a few more months. It is conditioned spaced and I'm keeping an eye on the RH% down there to make sure it stays sufficiently low. A dehumidifier will get used if it creeps up. The batch in the garage is currently down to around 15%. Both batches have big fans running 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I have to agree.
    The DeWalt is a nice machine, but the difference between a 15", 3HP, 500lb.+ planer, and the Dewalt, is night and day.
    If you have the room for a 15" planer, I would look to go the used route.
    Particularly if planing a lot of rough sawn stock is on the agenda.

Jay I have both a Delta 4 post and a Dewalt 734 portable. I use the Delta 97% of the time. Bought the Dewalt about 7 years ago when I had to work in my garage for a winter in between tearing down old shop and building my new one. Their is no comparison Delta is way more solid and powerful. That said the Dewalt is portable enough that it maintains a permanent spot on my storage shelf for use as a "jobsite' planer when needed. It also works well and produces a very smooth finish when knives are new. Mike.