Thread: Grizzly 0453 planer outfeed rolller

Grizzly 0453 planer outfeed rolller

I have had this planer for several years. Today when planing a 3 inch piece of cherry the wood caught on the outfeed roller and jammed. When I tried to run it through again it stuck and I realized the outfeed roller and dropped down. Looking at it from the outfeed side it slants left to right and is considerably lower on the right. I took off the top and the jam nut is tight but a small rectangular piece above it is loose and not under anything. I tried to lift the block holding the roller up and move it under but that would't work. I assume the set screw moves this to move the roller. Anyone know how it fits in?

I have the same planer-- but I can't picture this part of it in my head at the moment. I don't know if any of the pictures in the manual show enough detail to help troubleshoot the problem? (Manual here: http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g0453zw_m.pdf)
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Okay think I figured out the problem. Had to take more of the planer apart to have enough room to loosen the bolt attaching the swivel part to the body of the planer and swivel the part back under the outfeed roller block, then adjust the height. Since i have everything apart I decided to check the infeed roller but the speed control wont go into neutral and therefore the infeed roller wont freely turn> Anybody know why this is happening and what can be done? Thanks.

I now have disassembled the gearbox to try to solve this. Grizzly tech support told me a bolt on the end of the shift lever was probably loose and not permitting the machine to shift into neutral or low speed. That bolt is tight.. The lever will move the gears from high to neutral but will not engage low without manually rotating that gear to mesh.

1. Why does the shifter seem to shift into neutral with the gearbox apart but not when assemble.
    2. Should the lever be able to mesh automatically with the low gear with manual manipulation? This is supposed to be done while the machine is running but this seems like it would grind the gears.

I am not a mechanic and am stumped at this point. The gears also seem in good shape to me. Anybody have any ideas?

I have a G0453 and the gearshift can only shift into neutral and then back into the previous gear with the unit off. The unit has to be running and the gears moving to be able to shift from high to low as the gears must be moving to mesh. Your unit's behavior is the proper behavior for that unit and why Grizzly says to not shift the unit with the power off.