Thread: Trotec Red Dot Laser Switch ON/OFF?

Trotec Red Dot Laser Switch ON/OFF?

Anyone modified their Trotec with a toggle to be able to turn OFF the red dot laser? If so, any tips on how to do so would be much appreciated!

Why would you want/need to?
    355 - 10400 : )

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Stewart View Post
    Why would you want/need to?
    Hmm I can think of a few reasons - but, for starters, when doing a demo I prefer to have the Co2 laser firing without the red dot being in the way, misleading people so they don't think the red dot has anything to do with the engraving/cutting process.

How about," just ignore the red dot its only for alignment of the work" ?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    How about," just ignore the red dot its only for alignment of the work" ?
    While I appreciate the suggestion for how to communicate with the people we demo the machine to, I'd rather implement a solution to toggle the pointer so I don't have to say something similar to your suggestion 100+ times a year.

There's really no way to turn it off? My LS900 is designed so it can either fire the laser, or the red dot, but not both- it's done with a shutter, it's on a 45° angle when closed, and on the back of the 'door' is a mirror, which is what the red light hits, from there is hits the normal 3 mirrors. When the laser readies to fire, the shutter opens, and the mirror is gone -- also, the open shutter also activates a switch to kill the red LED, so it's never 'always on' anyway... My GCC's red light can be killed from the control panel with one of the function options...

Worst case if you can't shut yours down, open up the machine and add a switch--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    There's really no way to turn it off? My LS900 is designed so it can either fire the laser, or the red dot, but not both- it's done with a shutter, it's on a 45° angle when closed, and on the back of the 'door' is a mirror, which is what the red light hits, from there is hits the normal 3 mirrors. When the laser readies to fire, the shutter opens, and the mirror is gone -- also, the open shutter also activates a switch to kill the red LED, so it's never 'always on' anyway... My GCC's red light can be killed from the control panel with one of the function options...

Worst case if you can't shut yours down, open up the machine and add a switch--
    Correct - On the Trotec there is no way to turn it off easily - adding a switch is exactly what I'm looking to do - and wondering if any other Trotec users have done it already so I can get some advice on how.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Saul View Post
    Correct - On the Trotec there is no way to turn it off easily - adding a switch is exactly what I'm looking to do - and wondering if any other Trotec users have done it already so I can get some advice on how.
    Sounds like a question for Trotec to answer, have you asked them? Otherwise it seems like your the only one here that needs that LED turned off. I have shown both my machines in operation and have never had that question come up.

Sounds like a question for Trotec to answer, have you asked them? Otherwise it seems like your the only one here that needs that LED turned off. I have shown both my machines in operation and have never had that question come up.
    I'll shoot Trotec an email, but I assume they won't want me messing with the electronics of the machine so I figured I'd start here to see if anyone else had made the modification. Our Epilog machines have a button to toggle the red dot and it sounds like other lasers do as well.

I don't need the red dot turned off - it's a matter of preference and ties into the way I use my machine - which, obviously, could be 180º different from how you use yours.

I don't need the red dot turned off - it's a matter of preference and ties into the way I use my machine - which, obviously, could be 180º different from how you use yours.

And with all the Trotec folks on here you would think they would have an answer you would like?

And with all the Trotec folks on here you would think they would have an answer you would like?
    Not sure I follow what you mean by "with all the Trotec folks on here"?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3k9ESfkgQcZwyk

Page 66 or 68 has a diagram of the connection to the CB of the red pointer. Of course you did not say what model Trotec and this is for a Speedy 300. I am assuming your experienced in wiring and connections. So proceed at your own risk. Your welcome.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-31-2018 at 5:05 PM.

Im always curious why people do things in case Im missing out on some really cool idea but I cant for the life of me figure this one out. Do mean Demo as in sales demo? I never even let people stay in the workshop when the laser runs only because I don't want them in the way or seeing their $50 job took 50 seconds from design to done. Im not picking on you Im just wondering why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Saul View Post
    Hmm I can think of a few reasons - but, for starters, when doing a demo I prefer to have the Co2 laser firing without the red dot being in the way, misleading people so they don't think the red dot has anything to do with the engraving/cutting process.
    355 - 10400 : )

That’s what everyone else was wondering also, and I did find him the wiring diagram in case he wanted to add that switch.