Thread: 3/4" 3 Ply Plywood

3/4" 3 Ply Plywood

Curious if anyone knows of any 3/4" 3 ply plywood. I have some very large shipping crates from an overseas supplier of mine that have a ton of plywood making the box. If I was guessing, I'd say in the neighborhood of in excess of 50+ sheets of plywoood was used in construction of these boxes. Normally, I just walk by and don't pay attention to them. However, today, I stopped and looked at them on my way back in from lunch. The plywood is 3/4" (guess, didn't pull a tape) and is made of only three plys. Each ply is roughly 1/4". The two outside layers (inside and outside) seem to bee 1/4" thick pine while the inner layer is a layer of 1/4" thick by 3" wide wood (not sure what).

Question(s)

1) Has anyone seen anything like this before (and does my description make sense)?
    2) How stable would this bee in relation to something like BB? I can't get BB here, but I'm thinking that since both outer plys are 1/4" thick, the movement would be very minimal?

Thanks,
    Kevin

I've seen a lot of crates for exhibits shipped in from Germany made from a similar material. Very blonde looking pine, sometimes with a lumber core as well as crazy thick plys. I suppose it saves weight to be using less glue. I rather doubt anything like it is available in the US.

They've certainly got some funky sheet materials over there.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 05-14-2018 at 3:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I've seen a lot of crates for exhibits shipped in from Germany made from a similar material. Very blonde looking pine, sometimes with a lumber core as well as crazy thick plys. I suppose it saves weight to be using less glue. I rather doubt anything like it is available in the US.

They've certainly got some funky sheet materials over there.
    Yeah, I agree...this is coming from Switzerland, but my plant in Zurich is only 30 mins from Germany, so it's possible that it's German Ply...

It can't be very stable since a 1/4" (or 6mm) thick layer is going to move quite a bit. I suspect it has just enough strength to do the job and it was selected based on cost. The plywood factory can produce many more sheets of plywood compared to the Baltic Birch factory.
    Steve

This is exactly how a lot of bamboo plywood is made. There's no reason why it couldn't be just as stable as regular plywood. Regular ply is only as stable they choose to produce it. Just walk into any Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    This is exactly how a lot of bamboo plywood is made. There's no reason why it couldn't be just as stable as regular plywood. Regular ply is only as stable they choose to produce it. Just walk into any Home Depot.
    I was actually looking for a picture on the entireweb for what I have, and the closest I found was bamboo plywood. I may cut some up and build some cabinets out of it.

Our exhibit partner in Kranenburg said that the "three-layer" plywood they use for overseas crates is normally intended for concrete forms. They prefer it as the sheets are very light weight and flat. Looking at this again, the plys seem to be made out of staves rather than rotary-peeled sheets.

https://www.peri.com/en/products/pan...-s-panels.html