Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving granite & marble

Engraving granite & marble

In the past few days I have had a few inquiries about engraving some granite and or marble plaques and they have wanted it to come out like what you see on the typical grave marker which is by sandblast method.
    I have a sandblast cabinet so that part isn't a problem, but I don't have a vinyl cutter to cut that sandblast resist mask with and was wandering if anyone has placed the resist on the granite and used the laser to cut the resist then weed out the unwanted resist and then sandblast the granite? If you have done this what type of resist mask did you use and wear did you get it?

Thanks,
    Terry Wade
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

Anchor, as far as I know, is the only one who produces polyester sandblast stencil. I have used tons of the 116, it's thick enough to blast granite yet not so thick that you can't use it on softer stone like marble or bluestone. Just don't use it on anything polished, it's way too sticky and will be unbelievably difficult to remove. There is a lower tack version of it but the number escapes me at the moment. Practice a bit to get your settings right, on the stone is best and most forgiving when you use too much power - which is much better than too little!!

I have used Anchor 117, a medium tack, no problem removing as long as you don’t use the stencil filler as you would for wood.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    If you have a JDS account, and I expect others sell it as well, Ikonics makes a LaserTape imaging sandcarving film. Supposedly apply to substrate, laser and sandcarve.
    Comes in 4 to 12" rolls.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    If you have a JDS account, and I expect others sell it as well, Ikonics makes a LaserTape imaging sandcarving film. Supposedly apply to substrate, laser and sandcarve.
    Comes in 4 to 12" rolls.
    That's great stuff but not for granite, it's really best on glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I have used Anchor 117, a medium tack, no problem removing as long as you don’t use the stencil filler as you would for wood.
    I've really only needed filler on really rough substrates and then only with 116.

Before you give up on laser engraving marble try coating the surface with Armour All. Wipe off the excess and engrave and see what you think of the results. There are several threads here on the subject.

I know John already pointed it out but I use Green Laser Tape from Ikonics. I just used in yesterday on a glass top Humidor that went in the blast cabinet after laser engraving away the name and graphics I was putting on it. I bought a 6x100 roll from Johnson last year, I don't use it much but it's nice to have when I need it. Ikonics sent me a sample of their Orange Laser Tape but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. The Green is very stretchy so it wraps around things like rocks, wine glasses, etc. But, if you stretch it make sure you get all the bubbles out and blast it quickly since it tends to want to return to rest rather than staying stretched. The orange is not as flexible or 'stretchy' as the green.

You might try calling or emailing Ikonics or one of the other maske makers directly and tell them what you're doing and see if what they can recommend.
    Last edited by Jeff Watkins; 05-16-2018 at 3:16 PM.

Good stuff Keith. I'm going to try that out this weekend. I have had some great success engraving photos in black granite and then wiping it down afterwards with a coating I use. Anxious to see if there is a difference using both processes.

Rex Thomas
    Owner
    Thomas Laser Design
    Woodbridge, Virginia

Whaaat! I could only find one post and it just instructed you to try it, what the heck does Armorall do? I’m fascinated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Before you give up on laser engraving marble try coating the surface with Armour All. Wipe off the excess and engrave and see what you think of the results. There are several threads here on the subject.
    355 - 10400 : )

Armorall makes your engraved areas on black marble white. I have shared lots of information about this here and I think several pictures of college diplomas that I have engraved which used to be a big part of my business. I used to engrave a lot of black granite but I can't remember now whether I used Armorall on granite, its been a long time.

ArmorAll, 'negative Cermark'?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Armorall makes your engraved areas on black marble white. I have shared lots of information about this here and I think several pictures of college diplomas that I have engraved which used to be a big part of my business. I used to engrave a lot of black granite but I can't remember now whether I used Armorall on granite, its been a long time.
    Ok, now I'm confused.

As I recall it, the Armor-All thing was what you used to recommend to people who were trying to get marble-like results on the cheaper Home Depot granite.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

14. Hello
    I been thinking about building a cnc for my business,which is monument business.

the main engraving will be on soft marbles and if it can just make small touch engraving on black granite its great.
    1)please let know what spindle rpm is recommended for engraving on marbles-should it be slow rpm or fast?
    2)do u think a 2.2kv spindle is strong or we need a stronger one?
    3)what typ of rails and motors recomended?do u think a round rails with step motors is ok?or i need gear rails?with servo motor?
    4)what bits i need to engrave on marbles?and where is a good place to buy?shoud it be tungsten carbide blades or hss or vidia blades for marbles?
    5)should we use water when we engrave on marbles?
    6)whats the speed recommended for engraving stone and down rate?
    7)any recomended structure is welcome

thanks in advance

Lukas, wrong forum you need to be over on the CNC Forum. When you get there do some Searching and Reading first before posting a bunch of questions.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10