Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building a bed frame....

Hmmm..let's just say I am NOT a fan of this stuff....but the Boss wanted it...
    IMG_4483 (640x480).jpg
    By Rustoleum, called Weathered Gray.....stain and varnish...she picked it out....maybe the next coat will turn out better....doubt it.....She also only wants this where it will show, once the bed is made..
    IMG_4482 (640x480).jpg
    ( there is a slight gap between the rails, letting a bit of light to shine through..).6" drywall knife to keep the goop off the fabric...

Need to bring the footboard out, and "paint" it...and the two side rails. Both on just the outsides...

Not my choice of finish, but what can I do?

Too bleeding hot today....even with the A/C on full blast....Had to work IN the Dining Room, today. Work was to get the side rails ready for the "finish"...
    IMG_4485 (640x480).jpg
    hand tool day. Needed 8 counter-bores drilled, then a pilot hole drilled...
    IMG_4484 (640x480).jpg
    Two holes on each end. Since this will be the "inside" of the rails, I picked which side looked the worse.
    IMG_4487 (640x480).jpg
    Just enough room for the washer...and a socket to fit on the lag bolt....Craftsman #13 bit.....pilot holes was a #6 bit.
    IMG_4489 (640x480).jpg
    Top of the rail needed a notch. Cross cut wasn't too hard to do. The rip cut was made sitting ON the plank, and running an old Farmer saw..
    IMG_4491 (640x480).jpg
    Two-handed grip, too. Block plane to clean it up.

Gave that mitre box from yesterday's rust hunt a test run..
    IMG_4495 (640x480).jpg
    Yes, that end is sitting on a stool...the other end is on the Dining Room Table..Far end of the 2 x 2 is clamped to the plank.....worked, just needs sharpened..
    Glue and screws to attach the slat rail to the side rails..
    IMG_4493 (640x480).jpg
    Again, this is the inside of the rail. Slats will sit on the 2 x 2 rail ( may get a screw through the slat..) And then a sheet of 1/2" plywood. Then the mattress.

Need to apply that "finish" to both rails on the outside and top...and also do the foot board....

Slats will be cut for length, once the bed is assembled...
    Stay tuned...depending on the finish drying times....this may be done this month..I hope.

Went out and bought a pair of folding sawhorses tonight...and then spread a coat on each part....and a few fingers. Will let the stuff dry overnight.....they are set up on the back porch, where I can't see them.

maybe tomorrow, I can assemble the bed? We'll see....and NO, it will NOT be posted as a "Project"...

Parts are dry...maybe a bit of scruffing up, here and there. Need to get a GrandBRAT OFF the bed, so a tear down of the old frame can be done. Then assemble the new frame, cut slats to size...and see how it looks...

Updates as they come in...

Sooo, "paint " is now dry...and the Boss has approved it..
    IMG_4496 (640x480).jpg
    And the fancy sawhorses I had to go out and buy..
    IMG_4497 (640x480).jpg
    Waiting on a GrandBRAT to wake up, and get off the old bed. Tear the old one down, and build the "new" one in it's place...sometime today..had to dig around to find the 1/2" socket that fit the hammerdrill's end..to drill them lags into place...

Anyone want to stop by, and help with the build?

Calling this project done..
    bed's made.jpg
    Threw the old bad out...and assembled this in it's place..
    corner.jpg
    Tight fit, bed is rock solid...
    IMG_4506 (640x480).jpg
    Sits up a little higher than the old metal frame thing did..
    slats.jpg
    three 1 x 6 slats, support a layer of 3/4" plywood....all of which is screwed into place...
    footboard.jpg
    Rails are held in place with two lag screws at each end.....used a 1/2" socket on a hammer drill, to drive the lags home..
    Thanks for looking in...
    Attached Images Attached Images

The weathered gray finish looks great!