Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digital Caliper Preferences

Blog Entries
    Just a caution. I have 2 or 3 somewhere. I just found the dial versions in imperial to be more usable in my shop. I turned one into a digital depth/height gauge and the others are in a box in the rafters. They were something I thought I really needed, bought another one when I didn't find it very helpful thinking it was the tool, then did that again before I realized I just preferred dials. I have other DRO tools that I would not want to give up so I am not just anti-tech. That's just how it worked out for me. You may want to start cheap with Harbor Freight instead of burning up a bunch of cash for a drawer-dweller.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought a Mitutoyo digital about 20 years ago when I started my engraving business. It is the best instrument I have in the shop; certainly better than I need and I take good care of it. I've replaced the battery once.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have several different ones, but the Mitutoyo are by far the nicest of the lot. It’s hard to explain how nicely they are made until you actually have a chance to handle them. The way that they hold zero is truly impressive. That said, my cheaper versions work just as well and I don’t feel as guilty about knocking them off the bench.

For measuring in thousands, I still use my digital Mitutoyo from my machinist days 20 odd years ago. For general woodworking, I much prefer my analog dial caliper (from Rockler or Woodcraft?) that reads in 64ths. It is my go to tool for measuring wood thickness when I need something more precise than a rule.

All the Mitoyo calipers on the bay from China are fakes. Good looking fakes but Mitoyo does not manufacture in China so there are no ones that fell off the truck in China. the fakes are no better then the HF ones at five times the price.
    Bil lD.

I have similar concerns about some of the Starrett stuff. Example: Their fractional dial calipers sold by Amazon clearly have "China" stamped on them. Not saying that makes them necessarily bad, just that the Starrett name doesn't give me the same confidence it once did.

Hasn't anybody heard of Browne & Sharpe? Ooooooohh, they're right up there with the best of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Hasn't anybody heard of Browne & Sharpe? Ooooooohh, they're right up there with the best of them!
    I love Browne&Sharpe tools and have a few. The last I bought is a very nice dial test indicator, every bit as good as the Starrett (and maybe better if it is true as some claim that the Starrett quality has gone down on dial indicators and dial test indicators.)

I've never tried a B&S caliper, digital or dial. Do you have one?

JKJ

Mitoyo vs Mitutoyo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    All the Mitoyo calipers on the bay from China are fakes. Good looking fakes but Mitoyo does not manufacture in China so there are no ones that fell off the truck in China. the fakes are no better then the HF ones at five times the price.
    Bil lD.
    If you are buying calipers marked Mitoyo instead of Mitutoyo, perhaps they are fakes, like Rollex watches. Or maybe Mitoyo makes calipers: http://www.mitoyo-net.co.jp/en/product.html

If this is simply a typo or three, then never mind.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I have similar concerns about some of the Starrett stuff. Example: Their fractional dial calipers sold by Amazon clearly have "China" stamped on them. Not saying that makes them necessarily bad, just that the Starrett name doesn't give me the same confidence it once did.
    I wouldn't be too quick to jump to the conclusion that "Made in China" automatically signals poorly made. Chinese factories are capable of turning out equipment that is as good as any European or American factory, and in some areas their expertise and R & D are world leading. There is no question that consumer-grade manufactured goods from China - where the importing / relabeling brand in the US is primarily concerned with cheap and does not insist on quality - suffer from quality control, material defects, and fit and finish issues rather routinely. But I don't see any evidence that Starrett has relaxed it's standards for their top-end items, regardless of where they are manufactured.

I agree, Steve. My SawStop started out in Asia and I have no problems with its quality. Just wondering, I guess. To their credit, I sent them an email, via their web site, early this morning. They have already responded, saying that their fractional dial caliper is made in their China facility.

As for Brown and Sharpe, I like them but haven't found a fractional dial caliper made by them.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I love Browne&Sharpe tools and have a few. The last I bought is a very nice dial test indicator, every bit as good as the Starrett (and maybe better if it is true as some claim that the Starrett quality has gone down on dial indicators and dial test indicators.)

I've never tried a B&S caliper, digital or dial. Do you have one?

JKJ
    I have a B&S dial caliper and some other Mike's. Nicely made and pleasing to hold!

I love my iGaging Absolute Origin for $40. Reads fractions, hundredths, and mm. Digital display makes it easier for me to do the math quicker in my head. And auto turnoff.

I have that iGauging caliper, too. It is dependable and has held up well for me. The problem is how the fractions are digitally displayed. By thst, I mean that it gives me a measurement of 111/128ths of an inch, and my head explodes.

I need fractions on a dial, so I can quickly look for a meaningful neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I need fractions on a dial, so I can quickly look for a meaningful neighbor.
    One of the reasons I prefer dial calipers to digital as well, when working in fractions. With the Starrett's I use, I can read to with 1/128 if needed (although my mental read will be 3/128 under 7/16, not 53/128, if I do - although in reality, if I need that kind of accuracy I'm probably not working wood, and thus probably working in decimal inches), but when that's not needed, instantly read 64ths, 32nds, or 16ths.