Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digital Caliper Preferences

Digital Caliper Preferences

I searched old posts figuring there would be loads of discussion on this topic, and was surprised that I couldn't find any.

My Wixey digital calipers just gave me notice that they're at end of life. The battery compartment won't open - the thin plastic lip used to open it sheared off – so I can't open to replace the battery. I wasn't entirely surprised ... the plastic knurled adjuster bracket broke in the first month of ownership which gave some indication of the "achilles heel" of this tool. Otherwise I would have to say the calipers have worked well for me for several years. They dramatically improved my workflow with dialing in the planer and sander so that all thicknesses aligned with the calipers. But now it is time to invest in a better pair.

I'd love something with a stainless steel head (readout enclosure) that is more robust than the plastic Wixey. Features I like are the decimal/fraction indicator and of course the metric/imperial is a basic need. Six inches seems to meet my needs. Mostly woodworking but I do some metalworking so the hardened tips are great for scribing. Any preferences out there?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I've not seen one with a stainless steel case for the readout head. I've got one from iGaging that I bought from chipsfly.com. it's very good and has a larger display than many of the alternatives.

Bill I do not have the Wixey pair (but plenty of other of their products - love the TS digital scale). However I do have my dad's analog calipers and my off brand digital pair and have been using the analog more often, as they are quicker (no buttons). When I do use my digital pair it is a double edge sword having accuracy to 128th of an inch, when you read 71/128th. I have not seen any digital calipers made with anything but plastic heads (even high end units had plastic).
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

I've been using the iGaging EZ Cal model and it's been great...Under $30.

I bought a digital caliper from Harbor Freight about 10 years ago for about $10. It still works, and reads dead on against known standards. I would like to switch to a high quality dial cailper just to eliminate the electronics, since I use it for reloading also, but haven't found the need to upgrade yet. Maybe I got lucky, but I am impressed that it is still dead on after 10 years.

I have a habit of misplacing and/or breaking them, so reluctant to spend a lot. I'm satisfied with the one I got at Aldi's even though no fractional readout. I think it was about $10 and is metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    I'd love something with a stainless steel head (readout enclosure) that is more robust than the plastic Wixey. Features I like are the decimal/fraction indicator and of course the metric/imperial is a basic need. Six inches seems to meet my needs. Mostly woodworking but I do some metalworking so the hardened tips are great for scribing. Any preferences out there?
    I prefer Starrett and Mitutoyo myself but I have use some others too.

What's your budget?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I prefer Starrett and Mitutoyo myself ... What's your budget?
    Yikes! I'm blanching at the price of the higher end Starrett and Mitutoyo models.
    It does appear that all have a plastic head ... disappointing.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I use a pair of "rejected" Mitutoyo from my machine shop. They won't repeat accurately enough to use for production close tolerance machining, but since they're "only" a .001" off, I figure they're good enough for wood. If I'm dialing in a machine, I bring good tools home from work that are dead on.

What you're going to use it for will dictate what will best work. For general woodworking type needs, the less expensive digital calipers work just fine. For more consistent precision that some folks might want/need for certain kinds of CNC work, then a bigger investment is a good idea. I personally have an inexpensive one from Woodcraft right now and it's been fine for what I've used it for. But I might pony up for a better one in the future if I start to also work with aluminum and brass on the CNC because at that point thousandths are a bit more important than they are with general lumber thickness.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I prefer Starrett and Mitutoyo myself but I have use some others too.

What's your budget?

JKJ
    I'd go one further and say that, even though I know Bill is looking for advice on a digital caliper, that having used both, I would strongly recommend an analog dial caliper as faster and more reliable than anything that requires a battery. The Starrett 1202F-6 is a gem in the dial caliper for woodworkers space. It reads in 64ths, to an easily repeatable precision of 1/128". I've got two (because I damaged the first one, I thought beyond simple repair, so bought a second and then was able to repair the first), and find them among the most used measuring tools in my shop.

But yes, they are a bit pricey.

I used a number of types and brands of callipers in over two dozen years inspecting machined parts for aerospace. My choice is a Mitutoyo over all others. One reason is they use the SR44 /357 size button batteries that are cheap and easy to find plus they will last for at least a year of everyday use. Starrett used the coin batteries that are costly and don't seem to last as long. The Mits also have a better fit and finish unless you are comparing to a Tesa (Swiss made?). Steve's suggestion of a dial indicator is also good and I like them too. The actual vernier type are the most reliable because there is nothing to go out of adjustment but having young eyes goes a long way to reading them. Once they get in the bi and trifocal range verniers are a pain to read. If you decide to go for inexpensive imports it is a bit of a crapshoot as to how good they are. I would still look for ones that use the button battery over the coin batteries if you go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Behrens View Post
    I bought a digital caliper from Harbor Freight about 10 years ago for about $10. It still works, and reads dead on against known standards. I would like to switch to a high quality dial cailper just to eliminate the electronics, since I use it for reloading also, but haven't found the need to upgrade yet. Maybe I got lucky, but I am impressed that it is still dead on after 10 years.
    Same here.

Yep, the HF digital calipers I have work fine, every time. But I only use them for measuring metal. For normal woodworking I use a set of analog calipers as Steve mentioned above. I prefer seeing if I'm 2 or 3 tick marks away from target rather than an exact number. And when I get to target it doesn't matter if it's not to the nearest 0.001". Wood working ain't that precise.

John

Mitutoyo - Starrett - iGauging

My limited experience ranks digital calibers first of all for Mitutoyo, followed by Starrett and iGauging.

My personal one is from Starrett.

I really value precision, usability, stability and affordability...