Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodpeckers

Blog Entries

Woodpeckers

I just ran across their web site. I have two or three of their tools. I curious if any of you
    have their tools and do you use them. I have some of their squares but I really don't use them.
    They look pretty on my shop wall though.

Lots of folks here have and use their tools often.

They do have some tools that look nice and I would love to have some of them. But they are too expensive for me at the moment as I'm still building out my shop and cheaper versions of the tools will work for me at the moment. That way I can concentrate my funds on more useful tools. I'm retires so I not only have to budget, I have to schedule tool purchases to get the most bang for the buck.

Once I have all the big purchases completed I wold love to add some Woodpecker tools.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Woodpeckers has excellent quality and some unique offerings, too. But as already indicated, they come with a price tag. They are also prolific emailers to folks on their list, in case that matters to you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love and use all my Woodpecker stuff.

I too have some Woodpecker stuff and use them and love them. I am selective of what I buy though.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

hold it and test it first

I have two squares and a T-square. All were worth the cost to me and I use them often.
    wp t s.JPG wp 2.JPG wp 3.JPG

I have their straight edge and an extreme case of buyer's remorse. I bought it to tune up my jointer and it is almost worthless. I ended up replacing it with a decent straight edge from Lee Valley.

wp 4.JPG

As already said, the stuff is sometimes cost prohibitive. Most of the one time tools seem quite gimmicky to me personally. Of my four pieces, the straight edge is the only one I bought sight unseen and untested. I will no longer buy a piece without testing it out and holding it. Yes, that is a problem unless you have some buddies who have it, you can attend a show, or visit a store that has it. All of which are a bit limited for me. But the straight edge taught me a lesson.

What's wrong with the straight edge? I have the combo center/normal one and love it. I *really* like the carpenter's square.

Echoing what Jim said. I’ve been on and off their email list for forever. I like seeing the one time tool offerings, and have succumbed to a few, but after a while I get sick of the almost daily emails and unsubscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    What's wrong with the straight edge? I have the combo center/normal one and love it. I *really* like the carpenter's square.
    Carlos, FWIW, the center finding rulers they sell aren't technically straight edges. Yes, they're pretty straight but they're not checked for precision like the SERX straight edges. They also don't stand up by themselves.

I'm curious about what was wrong with Alan's. Pretty sure they'd replace it if faulty.

I agree that their emails can get tedious. Then you get emails from other vendors that sell the same WP stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    It is too narrow and has a V grooved edge that it sits on. It is extremely unstable and you spend more time trying to hold it up than you do adjusting the surfaces that you are working on. If you use a thickness gauge as shown in their photo I posted above without stabilizing the straight edge with your other hand, you will knock it over. Happens over and over until you are ready to drop it in the trash. Here's a shot that shows the v-grooved edge.

wp 5.JPG

I did call Woodpeckers and discussed the issue with them. They emailed me their recommendation in a couple of days and recommended that I return it to Hartsfield Tool where I'd bought it. It is now in the corner since it was replaced with a quality steel straight edge from Lee Valley. I am guessing it may come in handy sometime in the future but it sure did not serve the purpose for which I bought it. I wanted a straight edge which was functional for setting the tables on a parallelogram jointer. It made that job a PITA.

Blog Entries
    I have the 12" and 24" rule. They are thick, wide and heavy when compared to a more typical steel rule and therefor awkward for general marking and measuring tasks. When I want something to stay put while I am working around it, these are the rules I reach for. In the role I bought them for, they serve me well. Like most Woodpecker stuff, the quality is top notch. Just make sure you are buying them for a suitable use. Otherwise you do end up with expensive wall decor.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Alan

I have a 6' Starrett machine rule, straight edge, for setting up machines.
    I have two blocks of wood, about 3" tall, 4" wide and 1" thick, that have a cut ,the height of the Starrett, in the face of each one. The two blocks saddle the straight edge and keep it on edge.
    It's a shame to have a nice straight edge, like you do, and not be able to use it.Possibly a low tech solution like mine might enable you to be able to use it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks for the explanation. I have different techniques for tool tuning and never expected a straight edge to stand by itself. I didn't know it was possible. And I swear if you people just made me spend more money......