Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

14 May 2018

Greetings,
    The Daughter and her husband have a buyer for their house. What that means for me is that I loose a wonderful neighbor and they will be further away from us than we'd hoped. It also means that I've been very busy helping them with home repairs and such as they are supposed to close this week if all goes well. My hope is that I will have everything finished by Wednesday night of this week.
    My new bench grinder motor finally came in but I've had zero time to work on getting it all setup. I go oncall today so it looks more like this coming weekend before I can get started on the new setup. We celebrated Mother's Day here yesterday and it was a good time for all of us. Family is very important to us and we do our best to try and provide a safe and wonderful place for all to come and enjoy each other while here. While that can be a challenge at times, most of the time all goes very well and we all enjoy the time with each other.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I did some more organizing in my shop so now it looks a little more like a woods hop than a garage. Still need to do more clean out work.

Acquired a 6" Rigid Jointer and some wood donated by a friend. See this post for pictures.

I did some experimenting with the Harbor Freight pocket screw jig but decided to return in on Saturday. I didn't like all the tear-out I was getting. Tried plywood, SYP and some red oak all with similar results.

Trimmed some trees in the back yard out by the lake but noting big enough to cut into lumber. Messed up the Stihl chain saw cutting up a palm tree so now the chain won't move. Will be taking that apart today to see if I can fix it. Then I'll start the cleanup and tuning of the jointer.

This week I'll be inventory the new wood stash and maybe starting two outdoor coffee tables/planters for my girls.

We are supposed to get rain every day this week from a tropical depression so who knows how much work will get accomplished.

Addendum: got the chain saw fixed. A general cleanup, add some chain oil then free up the chain and oil it. All is good. Warning: cutting a palm tree (more like a giant palmetto bush) is a nasty job. It shreds the fibers and gums up the chain big time.

Joe - Congrats. I wish I was that far along. Still have 3 of my 4 kids in college. The two girls need doctorates for their chosen fields so, many more years to suffer through.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrison; 05-14-2018 at 9:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Anna and I spent Thur-Saturday in Clemson SC, watching our oldest kid graduate with his Masters in Architecture from Clemson University. That was a thrill. In a round-about-way his graduation is a bit woodworking related as he learned and spent a fair amount of time in the wood shop at Clemson as he did at the University of Illinois when he was an undergrad.

He now will call Atlanta home as he accepted a job at an architectural firm, Niles Bolton and assoc.'s.

Three children are now through college and on their own.

Next up, Christina. She begins studying chemistry at Murray State University in Murray KY this fall.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Congrats, Joe!!!

I finally got home from central Florida on Friday evening after a long week of dealing with a family matter. That meant I actually got to drive on our new paved driveway myself since I left right after they completed laying it the week before. I'm sure that my speed-racer daughter and Professor Dr SWMBO enjoyed "breaking it in" in my absence. LOL

IMG_0786.jpg IMG_0796.jpg IMG_0801.jpg IMG_0794.jpg

On my way north, I made a 'Creeker visit with Mr. Shepherd which was a nice way to round out a stressful week.

IMG_0833.jpg

So now I hopefully will be able to concentrate more on the CNC learning curve as well as finish up a few other small projects that were started but not quite completed before I started my travels with Aspire Camp and then family business.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-14-2018 at 9:17 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Installed the new pantry cabinets.
    The After.jpgMore After.jpg
    Now, there's some trim left to apply and a wall to be patched and painted, but the old clutter is out, the new drawers are loaded, and the wife is thrilled...so I went ahead and declared victory.
    Chuck Taylor

For me, a drive to Greensboro NC to do a woodturning demo at the turning club there. Big club - headcount was 59! Then I bopped over to visit turner Frank Penta and woodworker Michael Todrin. Working every other day on the remodeling.

JKJ

Not much to show for the weekend. Our daughter graduated with her BSN saturday, so we celebrated with her. It took 6 years, but she worked 2 jobs the whole time she was in school.

After your help, all the reclaimed interior doors are hung in our home and I've begun producing the casings. My progress is a bit slow, as I'm producing my own profiles and pre-assembling each casing. They get primed and 3 coats of paint before install. Since I have limited room to layout the assembled casing for finishing, that is a bottleneck.

Seems to be a theme going on. I too, spent time at graduation ceremonies. My fiance's daughter graduated with a BSN. Wednesday was the honors ceremony, Saturday morning was the Nursing school ceremony, and Saturday afternoon was the main ceremony. Three hours of pomp and circumstance for 7 seconds of her crossing the stage. She and her mother will be taking next week and going to Paris, as a final hurrah. And then off to Milwaukee for her position as an ICU nurse.

Her brother came up for the graduation, and then stuck around yesterday for a Mother's day cookout. So we had a nice get together with her family.

As far as the workshop, I spent some time cleaning things up. Put a couple of boxes of cutoffs in the fire pit as long as the weather was nice, and that created some more area that had to be swept up... Made a little jig to cut some shims in preparation of door hanging later this summer. And spend some time researching my next project.

Blog Entries
    Friday was date night with LOML that was very nice.

It has been difficult for me to get into the shop, but I managed it over the weekend. After wrestling the bench out along with the tablesaw, I quickly fabricated a half lap accees panel around a hose bib that was replaced and better braced. That got installed and waterproofed.

Weeks ago, I had mocked up and practiced how to make a leg to seat joint for a stool I will make. I procured some nice 8/4 curly maple that I could use for the piece. While a neanader in preference in making the stool, I am happy to use powertools for stock prep. I prepped with the jointer plane and glued up the seat blank. After flattening it was squared to the final shape. I’ll cut the through mortises after I get it all laid out.

I worked hard to give LOML a happy Mothers’ Day yesterday. All in all, a good weekend.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    For me, a drive to Greensboro NC to do a woodturning demo at the turning club there. Big club - headcount was 59! Then I bopped over to visit turner Frank Penta and woodworker Michael Todrin. Working every other day on the remodeling.

JKJ
    Hi, John!
    It was good to meet you and chat a while during your visit to Frank's shop!
    Just browsing the forum and saw your name in a post.... Wait - I know that guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fox View Post
    Hi, John!
    It was good to meet you and chat a while during your visit to Frank's shop!
    Just browsing the forum and saw your name in a post.... Wait - I know that guy!!
    Yes, great to meet you too! I try to stop in to see Frank when I go through that part of NC. We left for home just after that and didn't get back to the farm until midnight:30