Thread: Peacock egg

Peacock egg

Last year a friend caught a wild peacock that started hanging around his farm. Very unusual coloring, nothing like the Indian Blue birds I raise. It was small, missing some claws probably from frostbite, looked young to me but had the beginnings of spurs. He named it Louie and I put it in a pen here with some other birds. Recently some females started attacking it so I moved them out and left it with a male.

Yesterday evening it laid an egg so I guess we'll call it Louise now.

peacock_egg.jpg

From photos I found the bird is a "Pied Indian Blue" peahen, a combination of white, grey-brown, and some green/blue on the neck. I put the egg in with the others so we'll see if it hatches when the hens get broody. About 20 eggs in the next box now.

JKJ

That might be a very interesting offspring!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

JoJo, our pet Peacock of the neighborhood is now dead. JoJo has been in our area and eating from our property for well over 10 years now. I will miss him.
    I hope this offspring comes up great and lives a long prosperous life.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I always thought Peacocks might be hatched. Thanks for the evidence John!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    JoJo, our pet Peacock of the neighborhood is now dead. JoJo has been in our area and eating from our property for well over 10 years now. I will miss him.
    I hope this offspring comes up great and lives a long prosperous life.
    If we have a bounty of chicks (you never know) I might donate one to your neighborhood if someone has a place to raise it. Males are fully mature in about 3 years.

Just 10 minutes ago I sold the second of the two young males hatched last summer.

peacocks_young_males.jpg

BTW, the best quick large cages I've come up with are the 10x10x6' chain link dog kennels. I use extra chain link panels to close in the top and use a frame and canvas roof from the farmer's co-op to provide shade and a dry area:

peacock_pens.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I always thought Peacocks might be hatched. Thanks for the evidence John!
    Now Fitz.......You already knew us Peacocks were hatched. Someone told me years ago that they bet that 2 buzzards bumped butts and I fell out.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Now Fitz.......You already knew us Peacocks were hatched. Someone told me years ago that they bet that 2 buzzards bumped butts and I fell out.
    I'm not sure your parents would have appreciated that particular description of how you came to be, Dennis... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

At my age Bibs, one often forgets what they already knew and start the learning process all over again!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-14-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Does that make you a Bird Tird?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

reminds me of the old joke. If a peacock sits on a roof ridge running est-west which way will the egg roll?
    Bil lD.

LOL!! You boys are funny!!!
    Dennis -

Bill, here's another laugh....took me while to figure it out! Guess city folk just don't hear "pea hen" often enough. Oh well, how much can a new identity cost?!