Thread: How to align Craftsman 22114 table saw pulleys

How to align Craftsman 22114 table saw pulleys

Hi,

I'm taking apart my Craftsman 22114 table saw to clean it up and found that the belt needed replacing. Some of the ribs were worn in the belt and the saw shudders a little bit when powering down. I've ordered a new belt, but I also noticed the arbor and motor pulleys are out of alignment by about 1/8"-1/4". What is the proper procedure for aligning the pulleys? I need to extend the arbor pulley out or bring in the motor pulley.

Thanks.

I like the pulleys to be as close inboard as possible to reduce side load on the bearings. Of course you have to have some clearance for side to side motion. In you case I would move whichever pulley is farther out. take time to dig out the setscrew hex with a probe so the allen key goes full depth. If you do not you may strip it out and make it very difficult to remove. May also be a good idea to shot some penetrating oil on the threads a day before. Do not get the oil on the belts.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I agree that moving a pulley closer is better than moving one farther out as long as this does not cause clearance issues. Check the full range of the arbor travel before deciding on your move. I align pulleys by simply using a small spring clamp to faster a straight edge or straight piece of hardwood to one pulley so that it extends past the other. Move the pulleys so that they are coplaner.

Pulley Coplaner.JPG
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-13-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I like the pulleys to be as close inboard as possible to reduce side load on the bearings. Of course you have to have some clearance for side to side motion. In you case I would move whichever pulley is farther out. take time to dig out the setscrew hex with a probe so the allen key goes full depth. If you do not you may strip it out and make it very difficult to remove. May also be a good idea to shot some penetrating oil on the threads a day before. Do not get the oil on the belts.
    Bill D
    The pulley on the motor looks like it has a stop block that slides on the shaft and locks in place with a hex Screw. Is this correct? How is the pulley prevented from moving in towards the motor? I don’t want to strip or break anything by forcing things. Once I loosen the outside stop block how do I move the pulley forwards the motor and lock it in place?

Thanks.

"the saw shudders a little bit when powering down". It's a characteristic of the motor when the centrifugal switch closes on power down. I'm not aware of anything you can do to eliminate it other than maybe replacing the motor with a US made motor.

If you angle the blade 45 deg., it makes it a little easier to put a straight edge across the pulley faces to check alignment. I can't remember but the pulleys may not be the same width.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I agree that moving a pulley closer is better than moving one farther out as long as this does not cause clearance issues. Check the full range of the arbor travel before deciding on your move. I align pulleys by simply using a small spring clamp to faster a straight edge or straight piece of hardwood to one pulley so that it extends past the other. Move the pulleys so that they are coplaner.

Pulley Coplaner.JPG
    Theres’s not much room for a spring clamp. A snug fitting spacer may work better.

2DB828AB-29C4-4D22-A5DA-D7A462CF9D19.jpg

68B5E839-023F-4BE4-97D1-0E19D4B08BF3.jpg

I haven’t loosened the screw on the motor pulley to see if it’s a single piece yet.