Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How a shop fixture is born

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Best advice from my father: never give any gift to your wife with a plug on it.
    Generally good advice. In my case, LOML likes tools. I have managed to survive gifting items with plugs - just not cooking or cleaning devices.

Anyway, she is a jewelor. Tough to find jewelry for her.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I guess the good news is that all our wives love something. We lived in India for two years and Ashish the jeweler kept my wife well supplied. Lots of semi-precious stones pass through India. I've been getting requests lately for a larger jewelry box. Its on the list.

I must be the odd man out.
    For the first few years of marriage, I tried to be thoughtful in my gifts. My wife was polite and supportive, but eventually made it clear I had no taste and would be far better off letting her just pick her own gifts thank you.
    That has worked well for the last couple decades.

I did make her a hammered copper bird feeder and baked a dozen dark chocolate muffins this Mothers day. I do believe she sincerely enjoyed both.
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 05-16-2018 at 5:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Generally good advice. In my case, LOML likes tools. I have managed to survive gifting items with plugs - just not cooking or cleaning devices.

Hey Shawn,

As a guy that dabbled in jewelry, here's a few possible things she'd like:
    - Pliers holder/rack- There's a lot of crimpers and pliers used
    - Small anvil
    - Jeweler's workbench
    - Pin vise- a good one
    - Panavise
    - Great lighting.
    - Something to hold her foredom bits.

As for jewelry, take a look at what influence (Tiffany's, Art Deco, Victorian, etc)--and get her a coffee table book with that as the subject.

I must have an odd duck for a wife. Started out buying her watches, jewelry, and the like. She wanted mixers, food processors, etc. She is a very practical woman. Being German may have something to do with it. She is very happy with corded appliances. Oh well....
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    I must have an odd duck for a wife. Started out buying her watches, jewelry, and the like. She wanted mixers, food processors, etc. She is a very practical woman. Being German may have something to do with it. She is very happy with corded appliances. Oh well....
    My wife kind of liked some of the corded things bought for her; big screen TV, washer, dryer, freezer, refrigerator and a dishwasher.

Maybe since they were all bought on the same day it helped make her a bit happy about it.

Also it may be that since they were outfitting a newly purchased home it added to the thrill.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)