Thread: Machining XPS

Machining XPS

So not a question about machining exactly, we've got that licked. Looking for something to spray, roll, flood, brush, whatever, on machined XPS that dries extremely fast, doesnt eat into the surface, is sand-able. It can take several coats, thats not a problem, but looking for something that will soak into the surface somewhat, flash off fast hopefully, and then be able to sand. When you have to sand/clean up XPS it can be a pain to have a corner of your paper catch and dig out a little spot or tend to roll up rather than sand. Im thinking there has got to be something that would soak in or sit on the surface and lock up the machined surface somewhat. Ive tried shellac and shellac based products (Bin), not great. Tried waterborne clears, possibly, but still working on it. Tried rattle can clears and enamel, not so great.

Any ideas? fast flash off would be great but that will likely mean solvents which more than likely wont play well with XPS.

Thanks.

When I Google XPS I get a bunch of Dell computers coming up.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sorry Bruce . Extruded poly styrene. It's the more dense green board you see in the foam isle at the home center that is suitable for direct burial.

I believe Coastal sells a high solids primer specifically for foam products...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. Looks interesting with the dry times. Will order a sample Monday. Found that Krylon and Rustoleum have rattle can foam primer also.

I was watching an Andrew Pitts video on YouTube awhile back where he made his signs out of their HDU and he put that coating to good use on that project. You have to be careful with solvent-based products when using any kind of foam... ...some will react in "not nice" ways and given how expensive foam products can be, that's not something anyone wants to happen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, no HDU here. Nice stuff but way to pricey for what we're doing. Anything shellac based (DNA) works but the dry times arent that great. The XPS is much more reasonable in price for stuff it works for. Doesnt machine quite as nicely and no were near as nice to hand work. But for simple stuff that wont see any abuse it works great. Im playing around with a good saturated coat before a 5 though finish toolpath then a second coat and comes out like glass. Would like to find something that dries in less than 20 minutes.

I have not personally used this but another possibility https://www.fibreglast.com/product/d...r-1042/Duratec