Thread: Ashley Iles MK2 - Overall Length

Ashley Iles MK2 - Overall Length

I have a few Ashley Iles MK2 chisels (1/8, 1/4) with a few other sizes on back order. I wanted to get a head start on making a wooden storage box for them, but I could not find the overall lengths anywhere. Would someone be willing to measure and post the overall lengths of of the 3/4" and 1" MK2 chisels?

Thank you very much.

Lou

Lou,
    I cant help with size because I dont have any yet. But in the past when I've built the box before I received the tool, I have called my supplier for the dimensions and they are always helpful. Even if they are out of stock, they can probably give you a good number (if the guys here cant).

How about telling us how you like the Iles you already received?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My 1” is just about 10 inches. The 3/4 might be 1/4 shorter. Here is a picture of all six in a rack.

55ABC360-0481-48C5-B0EE-C0E72707E014.jpg

Nicholas, are you happy with the AI chisels? Any issues?

Thanks.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Nicholas, are you happy with the AI chisels? Any issues?

Thanks.
    Kevin
    Kevin, he has a lengthy post on thst in my "experiment" thread. See post #12, maybe that will help.
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I like them. Ferrules loosened over the winter. I tapped them with a nail and they hold fine now. Not an issue for me, but might bother some, so I thought I would mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I like them. Ferrules loosened over the winter. I tapped them with a nail and they hold fine now. Not an issue for me, but might bother some, so I thought I would mention it.
    I noticed that The Best Things webpage specifically calls that out and says it's not an 'if' the ferrel will loosen, but rather a 'when'. Sounds manageable from your description though.

I have a set of their butt chisels. And yes, the ferrules loosen on those as well. Easy to fix. Been eyeing the MK2s myself.

Thanks, I bought one of their butt chisels to try it out and so far like the steel a lot. I did see that note about the ferrules from The Best Things, as well. I might try one or two of the MK II.

Thanks again.
    Kevin

I've only used the 1/4" MK2 chisel and I like it very much. The steel is excellent. It only required minimal honing and the handle fits my hand perfectly. There were a few dings on the handle that I easily sanded out and then refinished the bubinga.

I previously had a set of 8 Narex Premium Imperials chisels that I returned because the handles on the larger sizes (5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1) were huge. I toyed with the idea of removing the handles and reshaping them on my lathe. I tried to remove the handles by clamping the metal blade in a machinist's vise and gently banging on the ferrule with a piece of wood and a hammer. I could not budge the blade from the handle. I did not want to hit too hard for fear of damaging the ferrule and then not being able to return the set to Amazon. I thought the metal tangs were epoxied into the handle. But, I subsequently heard back from Narex that they do not epoxy the blades into the handles.

Hope this information helps someone who does want to reshape the Narex handles. I'm glad I switched to the Ashley Iles MK2 chisels even though they were 3X the price of the Narex chisels. I really only needed the smaller sizes (1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2) for dovetailing and have larger vintage chisels for my other work.

Lou