Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford to stop making cars by 2020

I heard the proposed new ranger would be 90% as big as the F150 which is why Ford canned the ranger about five years ago. Just no real advantage. I hope the new ranger is a little smaller. I like being able to not have to do a three point turn in a parking lot or on my street. A F150 can not do that where I live.
    Bil D .

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    You may be surprised how relatively easy it is for the manufacturers to augment both the intake and exhaust note of the vehicle. Some have been doing it in production since the mid 2000's.
    My 1964.5 Mustang GT had tuned resonators from the factory. They've been doing it a long time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    My 1964.5 Mustang GT had tuned resonators from the factory. They've been doing it a long time.
    My 2017 Fusion Sport is quiet outside and inside in regular mode. Put it in Sport Mode and in addition to changing shift points, changes the stiffness of the electronic suspension, and a few other things the engine sounds much sportier. Inside only--they pipe the sound through the speakers! Bugged me that they did that but I got over it an enjoy driving it.

Eh, I'm a Chevy guy anyway. Yep, I just went there.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    I hadn't heard of this until this thread, yet it had to come. I say this because the SUV line of vehicles offers such utility & flexibility for different regions of our country, in addition to their popularity.

Frankly, I've often thought there simply is way too many choices for consumers among all the different vehicle models and accessories offered by auto manufacturers. How many different models & options are there; hundreds? Why do we need so many? It's beyond time to get reasonable. Capitalism is great in my book, it brings out the best in us, but it seems our competitive nature has focussed a bit too much on vehicle models & the tweaking of profits. There's a limit on style, engine performance, and efficiencies based on the internal combustion engine.

Let's get on with future designs of travel. How about one-person or family helicopters, or vehicles that can both drive on the roads and fly?
    Observing the way people behave on roads while constrained by pavement and guard rails and various barriers, I'm not sure I'd want those to ..... people ..... to have unfettered 3 axis mobility in the same airspace as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    GM is also looking closely at their passenger vehicles and thinking about what to keep and what not to keep.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    GM is also looking closely at their passenger vehicles and thinking about what to keep and what not to keep.
    Impala, Lacrosse, and whatever Cadillac equivalent is likely on the chopping block. Though Lacrosse sells well in China.

The China market loves Buick...

One thing that's going to be interesting to watch is the LE marketplace if vehicles like Taurus and Impala "go away". I know awhile back that Ford was developing a LE specific platform, but I haven't read anything about that lately.
    --

LE? Seems like Buick should sell an electra as their all Electric car. Didn't Harley make an electraglide?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post

I have owned 1 Dodge, 1 Chevy and 3 Ford
    My 2013 Chevy Equinox is the best car I have ever owned. My 2001 Mustang was a very close second but sold it this Jan with only 45K miles.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 05-15-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    LE? Seems like Buick should sell an electra as their all Electric car. Didn't Harley make an electraglide?
    Bil lD
    Law Enforcement. IE, "Smoky the Bear"
    --

Law enforcement... the California Highway patrol is slowly switching to Ford Explorers. They do huge group buys and invite all departments to buy together for lower prices. So most police forces here are switching at the same time.
    Caltrans no longer buys custom yellow trucks they have switched to cheaper standard white paint with reflecter stripes.

Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-16-2018 at 9:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have owned trucks from all three motor companies. I was happy with all of them. I have a 2015 F150. I am happy with it.

Unless misfortune strikes, I will pass on with it. My wife drives Denali. It is an excellent vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Law enforcement... the California Highway patrol is slowly switching to Ford Explorers. They do huge group buys and invite all departments to buy together for lower prices. So most police forces here are switching at the same time.
    Many law enforcement agencies use the Interceptor version of the Explorer, although for awhile, they had to take them off the street due to a carbon monoxide issue that was causing serious safety issues. But the Interceptor version of the Taurus has also been very popular with forces. That's where I wonder if Ford still has a plan for a law enforcement specific non-SUV platform that I read about awhile back. I just haven't seen anything recently on that.
    --

Ford no longer makes the Crown Victoria which is what the California Highway patrol used for decades.
    Bil lD.