Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ford to stop making cars by 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Ford no longer makes the Crown Victoria which is what the California Highway patrol used for decades.
    Bil lD.
    That's correct...they have been selling Interceptor versions of the Taurus and Explorer for years now as a replacement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The CHP did use some mustangs as interceptors for a while. A four door vehicle is not an interceptor.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The CHP did use some mustangs as interceptors for a while. A four door vehicle is not an interceptor.
    Bill D
    Look at the back of both the Ford sedan and SUV current police vehicles...they are labeled "Interceptor"
    --

Watch the original Road Warrior he drove an interceptor of some weird Australian make. To me interceptor means a high speed chase vehicle with no where to put a prisoner. Smaller, faster, and lighter then a full size cruiser. They catch the bad guy and some one in a big car comes and takes them away. Kind of like Harbor Freight calling a tool heavy duty professional industrial does not make it so. It is just wishful thinking.
    Our friend with Tesla asked a highway patrol man if he wanted to race. He was told he knew he would lose i nthe short run but, we have helicopters.
    Bill D.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/0...-in-australia/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-17-2018 at 9:45 PM.

Ford's police-version of their vehicles have long been badged as "Interceptor" or "Police Interceptor". When they did away with the Crown Vic, Dodge got a huge boost in their sales of the Charger for police/government use. Then Ford started pushing the Explorer more as many police departments are getting away from allowing high-speed pursuit anyway, and a more rugged, 4WD vehicle makes more sense. My county, Tippecanoe, in Indiana, has entirely switched to AWD or 4WD vehicles over the last several years for the county police, a mix of Chargers, Durangos, Ram 1500s and F150s (I think there are only a couple F150s, and they're used as transport vehicles).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Yea, our local township force has a mix of Ford SUVs and Sedans, a token Charger, an older Durango (the pre 2011 truck based version) and a lovely new F150. They had a couple of Impalas, but got rid of them a year ago when the new Ford sedans showed up. PA State Troopers use a mix of (mostly Ford) SUVs and sedans...and folks should note that they are straying from the traditional white vehicles to a new darker grey. All of the Fords mentioned have "Interceptor" or "Police Interceptor" labels on them except the F150.

----

Bill, there's nothing wrong with your logic about "interceptor". I was just referring to manufacturer branding, not the actual use. You mentioned the Aussie connection...I actually was under the impression that the platform Ford had been looking at was related to that, but it was a long time ago I read the article I previously mentioned.
    --

I have a 2000 Ford ranger and the manual has more then one page about do not use this as a tow truck, police car or ambulance. The cooling system and alternator are not designed for the load, especially at idle. They get so hot the gas cap can blow off.
    Awful big load on the alternator with lights,radio and computer all running at idle.

These "Interceptor" versions of the Ford vehicles are specifically built for the purpose and have things that "stock" versions don't have.
    --

Blog Entries
    And who can forget the Ford Gelding?

The next county over from mine uses a Mustang and also has (or had) 4 Harleys. Not sure if they still use bikes or the Mustang. I don't go that way very often anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    And who can forget the Ford Gelding?.
    That sounds like a marketing disaster...at least from a naming perspective in English-speaking countries...
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That sounds like a marketing disaster...at least from a naming perspective in English-speaking countries...
    It was one of David Letterman's top 10 lists from his latenight show on NBC. Back when his shows were funny.
    Top 10 ideas for new car models that were thrown out.

I grew up when the CHP had the big Dodge Polaras with the huge chrome bumpers. They used to have real sirens too. not the modern European ones.
    Bill D.

https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...pursuit.33101/