Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford to stop making cars by 2020

Ford to stop making cars by 2020

Ford has announced they will stop making cars by 2020 except for the mustang. Only trucks from 2020 on. They will not waste money developing cars with better gas mileage. I would think the mustang will have to be dropped in 5-10 years as engine and transmission options disappear.
    Of course the cost of gas will shoot up in a few years and Ford will have nothing with good mileage to sell. Then they will ask for a government handout.
    I blame the 25% chicken tax on imported trucks, SUVs and vans.
    Bill D.

Ford will “...start rolling out two new light truck models: the Ranger pickup and the Bronco SUV — both reviving nameplates that Ford had dropped in years past. All told, the automaker plans to add five new SUVs over the next two years, as well as the midsize Ranger pickup.“ -NBC News

And the Focus will be available to the US market but made in China.

Quite a change up at Ford! Thx for the heads up.

They are discontinuing cars because no one is buying them. It's not just going to be trucks and mustangs. They will have a number of small SUVs and crossovers in place to meet mileage requirements, and they're in the big push for electric.

OP, your post is intentionally misleading.

This is Ford's plan to address what the marketplace is primarily demanding...SUVs and trucks. SUVs have become the vehicle of choice for a large percentage of drivers, even in smaller sizes. Other manufacturers have also made changes or are contemplating them. FCA already did away from some passenger vehicles and GM is looking to scale back on some models that just are not selling. And there will still be plenty of "more traditional" passenger vehicles on the road and available in showrooms from the many manufacturers for those who prefer them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I love my F150.

crossovers are basically cars anyway.
    My Chevy Equinox on the highway in ECO mode gets 38MPG.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Do you have a legitimate source on your Mustang claim? I’ve not seen that, strange since the factory that builds them is nearby.

The new Ecosport isn’t much bigger than a Focus. I was behind one the other day at a light and it was definitely smaller than my Fusion. There’s also a small crossover coming.

I had read that a while back. Thought it was short sighted of them. I'll just stop at that least my opinion induce controversy.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Do you have a legitimate source on your Mustang claim? I’ve not seen that, strange since the factory that builds them is nearby.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...ustang-n869256
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I don’t see anything in that article about the Mustang going away in 5-10 years.

Like many vehicles that are focused on the performance market, the Mustang will evolve relative to drive train just like every other vehicle, and most likely will adopt turbo technology along with smaller displacement engine(s), providing for the dual purpose of increased fuel economy without sacrificing overall performance. And don't count out electrification, either...some of the fastest vehicles in the world are 100% electric and even hybrids have a big edge "off the line" because of the massive torque that electric motors have available from a standing start. Ford, GM and FCA all put a lot of effort into reintroducing their classic muscle cars in recent years with strong emphasis on historical style combined with modern underpinnings and I doubt any of them will abandon these vehicles unless the market for them drops significantly. How they "sound" might change over time, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... How they "sound" might change over time, however.
    You may be surprised how relatively easy it is for the manufacturers to augment both the intake and exhaust note of the vehicle. Some have been doing it in production since the mid 2000's.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

We looked at Mustangs last year. I can't remember which - engine or transmission - but one of those was already made in China.

I think the market for the new versions of the vintage muscle cars will drop off as the baby boomers stop buying nostalgic vehicles. They're not that comfortable or practical.

I believe Toyota said they were planning to be 100% electric by 2025. Its the world market (China, India) that's driving most of these decisions, not the US. Ford's been making their profits overseas for many years.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 05-13-2018 at 2:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    I don't understand why SUVs are so poor on milage.
    I have a 2003 Sable with a 3.0, a fairly big car, that gets 30mpg on the highway. Averages over 20 as I use it. Maybe it is just a fluke.
    If Ford wants to move Rangers they are going to have to make them more like trucks than the current configuration, in my opinion. Far too expensive for the average buyer.
    I love my Ranger, but those new ones ain't a Ranger, if you know what I mean.
    Have you looked at the prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Ford's been making their profits overseas for many years.
    I read a history of the Company that claimed European sales were all that kept them afloat in the late 70s and early 80s, when things were so tough in that industry.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”