Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepping a DX60 block plane

Prepping a DX60 block plane

So after discovering how handy block planes are when installing some new cabinets, I bought a Buck something-or-other from HD, lapped the base and sharpened it and really enjoyed using this newly discovered tool (guess the zeitgeist for my generation is power tools for everything). Anyway, I decided to step to a high quality plane because this will always have a spot in my work. Bought a DX60 with PM blade. So my questions are around prep for first use.

The note with the tool says it is coated in rust resistant material, and to clean this off, then wax the base. Clean with what? Wax with what?

Also it said the blade is sharp and "ready for final honing". What would you guys suggest? I sharpened the Buck by hand, simply because I have pretty good sharpening skills and setup for kitchen knives. Final hone by hand should be no problem? What grit? I use Shapton Glass stones and a couple other Japanese stones.

Any other suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I use mineral spirits and Johnson Floor Wax to clean and protect tools. You can take rust off with a wire wheel on a bench grinder.
    My grinder is a cheap one from Home Depot.

Blog Entries
    My first attempt would be with a soft cloth to wipe the plane down. If that doesn't remove the protective coating start with a mild solvent like mineral spirits.

Johnson Floor Wax is a good over all wax for protection in storage. The sole can often just be rubbed with a candle or candle wax to make it glide over the work.

My experience with LV blades is all they need is a few quick strokes on my finest stone and then maybe a swipe or two on a strop. The only work needed on the back is to remove any burr or wire edge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What grit for the final? 6000? Then quick strop?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Thill View Post
    I would think that would be fine. Others may tell you to go to 20,000 or something. Johnson’s (or any good floor wax) works well to prevent rust. Wiping it down with a little oil on a rag works well too.

Blog Entries
    If that is your usual finishing stone, then yes it will do the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just realized I have a tin of Renaissance wax that I hardly ever use. Would that work well?

I have never used it. The wikipedia entry suggests it would be ideal.

Blog Entries
    I say again,
    safety glasses
    wire wheel on grinder
    Johnsons wax
    wipe with cloth

10. Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I say again,
    safety glasses
    wire wheel on grinder
    Johnsons wax
    wipe with cloth
    It's a brand new plane. If there is ANY rust on it I'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I say again,
    safety glasses
    wire wheel on grinder
    Johnsons wax
    wipe with cloth
    Lowell Wire wheel on a grinder on a brand new DX60?????
    Jim

If I got a DX-60 the only prep I would make is a display case for it!

Clean it with mild solvent. I would NEVER use anything abrasive to clean off a brand new plane like that. You paid dearly for a very nicely finished plane.

For wax on the bottom candles are fine. A block of canning wax is fine. I use an old block of hard downhill ski wax. It's not rocket science. Some use a oiled rag. I can't do that as if there's someway possible to make a mess out out if it I will.

I'll leave the sharpening part to others. Not touching that can of worms!

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 05-14-2018 at 1:17 PM.

So after discovering how handy block planes are when installing some new cabinets, I bought a Buck something-or-other from HD, lapped the base and sharpened it and really enjoyed using this newly discovered tool (guess the zeitgeist for my generation is power tools for everything). Anyway, I decided to step to a high quality plane because this will always have a spot in my work. Bought a DX60 with PM blade. So my questions are around prep for first use.

The note with the tool says it is coated in rust resistant material, and to clean this off, then wax the base. Clean with what? Wax with what?

Also it said the blade is sharp and "ready for final honing". What would you guys suggest? I sharpened the Buck by hand, simply because I have pretty good sharpening skills and setup for kitchen knives. Final hone by hand should be no problem? What grit? I use Shapton Glass stones and a couple other Japanese stones.

Any other suggestions?
    Mineral spirits, maybe. No abrasives needed on the plane body. I use johnson's sparingly, oily rag for day to day. I have 15 PMV 11 irons. A 6000 stone will work just fine. You may need to go to a lower grit if you want to shape the iron. They are just not that hard to sharpen to me. The good thing is the back will be flat from the get go. Enjoy.
    Jim

Any other suggestions?
    I own a DX60. Just remove the anti-rust with wax and grease remover. Sharpening. Just hone it at 5000 then 8000 and it good to go.

Blog Entries
    I agree, if there is no rust, no wire wheel should be used. I have been de-rusting tools that went through the Hurricane Harvey flood.
    The wire wheel will make rusty steel bright again and the wax prevents rust. I wipe bright tools with mineral spirits and then the wax.

I have salvaged tools worth several hundred dollars with my suggestion. I worked on them today.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-14-2018 at 10:08 PM.