Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken handle - help me find the replacement please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Broken handle - help me find the replacement please

The height adjustment lever broke on my Grizzly GO800. They are back ordered but I am in the middle of a project.

Here is what they call the part:

ADJUSTABLE HANDLE 80L, M10-1.5 X 25

I do not know enough about the numbers to order from another source. Can anyone help me find a replacement part?

Thank you very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 05-12-2018 at 7:50 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Try JB Weld?

Will that take a lot of torque? OK, I am trying the JB Weld, since it is now a throw-away. I think I can adjust the tool rest using an adjustable wrench until I get it replaced.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 05-12-2018 at 8:29 PM.

How did you break it? I can't tell from the picture but it looks like there's a set screw or roll pin to keep it from coming off the rod. Is that a nut against it or part of the handle? Part of the part number, M10 (diameter)-1.5 (thread pitch)x 25 (length) sounds like a bolt or nut. I think if you looked at other Grizzly lathes as long as it has the same M10-1.5x 25 it should work. It just may not be as "deluxe". Maybe start off with the lathes made in Taiwan first as they most likely are made by the same company for Grizzly. At worst you probably could go to the hardware and pick up a bolt from a hardware store and use a wrench to tighten it. Just not as convenient.
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 05-12-2018 at 8:42 PM.

M10-1.5 X 25 is a standard metric bolt. You could buy one at a good local hardware store, or what I would do is take a hammer to the remaining pot metal and then use what ever tool will fit the remaining bolt.

That handle looks hollow. If it is, I would stuff the cavity with JB weld or other epoxy putty. It would be a lot stronger than the original. If it is open to the steel button on the inside you will have to protect that so the epoxy doesn't keep it from functioning.

Is that handle a spring loaded type that you can position the lever by pulling it away from the bolt inside ? If so they can be found in a multitude of places online. Google adjustable lever handles and you will get a ton of hits.

McMaster Carr carries those. Search for Metric Adjustable - Position Handle, the size will be M10-1.5 x 25.

if the backside of the handle is hollow first ruff it up and put a piece of rod or something like that in there before placing epoxy that I would think give it some extra strength .

Quote Originally Posted by Art Moore View Post
    McMaster Carr carries those. Search for Metric Adjustable - Position Handle, the size will be M10-1.5 x 25.
    This. Have ordered 3 already. They have different options for handle shape also.

This might be exactly what you need.
    https://www.amazon.com/Morton-Handle...adjustable+m10

The threads and spring assembly is fine. It's just the thin metal - zinc? - that snapped. I added a metal rod to the JB Weld, and then ordered the one that Alx Zeller recommended.

To me, and yes, I am on the Brute Squad, those handles are designed to fail. Cheap pot metal on a hardened steel gear toothed screw... Most of the time they strip rather than break. Quick easy fix, a mini set of vice grips.... The teeth on the vice grips fit the teeth on the screw pretty well. Don't know why the manufacturers make them this way. I would prefer the T type handle you find on most vices where the top of the T slides from side to side so infinitely adjustable, and you can push to either side.... Yes, I do have vice grips on one of my lathes....

robo hippy

You probably can't buy just the handle, you'll need to buy the whole thing. McMaster Carr, as suggested above, will have high quality ones. Probably $10-14.

use a wrench, i had the same thing happen on my 7066